Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Doctors thrust into COVID-19 celebrity reflect on backlash, threats and Thank You letters

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2025 10:51 AM
  • Doctors thrust into COVID-19 celebrity reflect on backlash, threats and Thank You letters

Doctors who were thrust into national fame when COVID-19 hit five years ago say they try to focus on positive feedback from the public rather than the angry backlash and threats of violence they faced. 

British Columbia public health chief Dr. Bonnie Henry still has a security detail to this day because of threats against her and her family from people angry about lockdowns or opposed to COVID vaccination. 

Henry says some people were lashing out in a time of crisis and many believed widespread vaccine disinformation — but she continued to emphasize the importance of kindness and getting through the pandemic together. 

University of Alberta infectious diseases specialist Dr. Lynora Saxinger says she keeps Thank You letters and cards from people grateful for her guidance during the pandemic as an antidote to hateful emails or social media posts.  

Nova Scotia chief medical officer Dr. Robert Strang says his family was threatened, but the vast majority of people he interacted with online or in-person were kind and thankful.  

All three doctors say they've learned it's important to communicate clearly to build trust — including explaining how decisions and advice can change during a public health crisis as new scientific evidence becomes available. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadians to spend $801 more on food in 2025 as climate, Trump affect prices: report

Canadians to spend $801 more on food in 2025 as climate, Trump affect prices: report
A new report says a Canadian family of four can expect to spend up to $801 more on food in 2025 than they did this year. The report by experts at four Canadian universities says food prices are likely to rise between three and five per cent next year. 

Canadians to spend $801 more on food in 2025 as climate, Trump affect prices: report

Ottawa outlines $2B in spending for artificial intelligence computing power

Ottawa outlines $2B in spending for artificial intelligence computing power
The federal government says it will spend up to $1 billion to build public computing infrastructure for the Canadian artificial intelligence sector, part of a $2 billion commitment outlined in this spring’s federal budget. A government official not authorized to speak publicly on the issue says that supercomputing infrastructure will be made available to businesses and researchers across Canada. 

Ottawa outlines $2B in spending for artificial intelligence computing power

Canada Post strike hits three-week mark as union says it's ready to restart mediation

Canada Post strike hits three-week mark as union says it's ready to restart mediation
The Canadian Union of Postal Workers said in a bulletin Wednesday evening it had sent the counter-proposals to the government-appointed mediator. Canada Post confirmed Thursday morning it received the proposals through the mediator. The union said it's ready to get back to federal mediation, which was put on pause last week. 

Canada Post strike hits three-week mark as union says it's ready to restart mediation

Flights cancelled as heavy fog cuts visibility to near zero in Metro Vancouver

Flights cancelled as heavy fog cuts visibility to near zero in Metro Vancouver
Dense fog has reduced visibility to near-zero for the third straight day in Metro Vancouver, cancelling flights and creating potentially hazardous travel conditions. Environment Canada says a fog advisory is in effect for the Greater Vancouver area, as well as the Fraser Valley, Sunshine Coast and eastern Vancouver Island.

Flights cancelled as heavy fog cuts visibility to near zero in Metro Vancouver

Stabbing near Princess Margaret Secondary School in Surrey

Stabbing near Princess Margaret Secondary School in Surrey
One person is in custody and another is receiving treatment after a stabbing this morning in Surrey. Police say it happened near Princess Margaret Secondary school, which was placed under a temporary "hold and secure" order for a short time.

Stabbing near Princess Margaret Secondary School in Surrey

Suspect arrested in downtown Vancouver stranger assault: police

Suspect arrested in downtown Vancouver stranger assault: police
Police say they've arrested a suspect five days after an unprovoked assault in downtown Vancouver. They say the alleged attack happened last Thursday in front of the Hudson's Bay store on West Georgia Street, where it was caught on surveillance video.

Suspect arrested in downtown Vancouver stranger assault: police