Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Doctors thrust into COVID-19 celebrity reflect on backlash, threats and Thank You letters

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Mar, 2025 10:51 AM
  • Doctors thrust into COVID-19 celebrity reflect on backlash, threats and Thank You letters

Doctors who were thrust into national fame when COVID-19 hit five years ago say they try to focus on positive feedback from the public rather than the angry backlash and threats of violence they faced. 

British Columbia public health chief Dr. Bonnie Henry still has a security detail to this day because of threats against her and her family from people angry about lockdowns or opposed to COVID vaccination. 

Henry says some people were lashing out in a time of crisis and many believed widespread vaccine disinformation — but she continued to emphasize the importance of kindness and getting through the pandemic together. 

University of Alberta infectious diseases specialist Dr. Lynora Saxinger says she keeps Thank You letters and cards from people grateful for her guidance during the pandemic as an antidote to hateful emails or social media posts.  

Nova Scotia chief medical officer Dr. Robert Strang says his family was threatened, but the vast majority of people he interacted with online or in-person were kind and thankful.  

All three doctors say they've learned it's important to communicate clearly to build trust — including explaining how decisions and advice can change during a public health crisis as new scientific evidence becomes available. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Supreme Court of Canada sides with First Nation in police funding dispute

Supreme Court of Canada sides with First Nation in police funding dispute
The Quebec Court of Appeal ruled in December 2022 that the provincial and federal governments owed almost $1.6 million to the First Nation in Mashteuiatsh, Que., to make up for years of underfunding. The federal government agreed to pay its share of the money, but Quebec asked the Supreme Court to overturn the decision.

Supreme Court of Canada sides with First Nation in police funding dispute

988 suicide helpline takes more than 300K calls, texts in its first year

988 suicide helpline takes more than 300K calls, texts in its first year
The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health says responders have fielded more than 300,000 calls and texts since the launch of the national 988 suicide helpline a year ago. Dr. Allison Crawford, the chief medical officer for the helpline, says people having suicidal thoughts or other mental health distress can get help 24 hours a day, seven days a week no matter where they live in Canada. 

988 suicide helpline takes more than 300K calls, texts in its first year

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits
Some Liberal MPs say they think their government should consider expanding the eligibility for an upcoming government rebate to include seniors who are no longer working. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last week said the government was responding to concerns about the cost of living by temporarily taking the federal sales tax off certain goods and sending $250 cheques to working Canadians in the spring.

Some Liberal MPs echo NDP call to expand $250 rebate, minister touts seniors benefits

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

High risk offender released: VPD

High risk offender released: VPD
Police in Vancouver are warning the public that a high-risk offender has been released to a halfway house in the city. Police say David Morin was released yesterday after being arrested earlier this week for violating the terms of his release.

High risk offender released: VPD

Champagne appeals to premiers to 'work together' ahead of tariff meeting

Champagne appeals to premiers to 'work together' ahead of tariff meeting
Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne said Wednesday that he's confident all the premiers will get on board with a unified "Team Canada" approach to deal with Donald Trump's tariff threat. His confidence comes despite signs of early cracks in that unity ahead of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's emergency meeting with the premiers this afternoon. 

Champagne appeals to premiers to 'work together' ahead of tariff meeting