Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Don't let AstraZeneca vaccines go to waste: Hajdu

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 May, 2021 10:20 AM
  • Don't let AstraZeneca vaccines go to waste: Hajdu

The federal government is urging provinces not to waste thousands of doses of AstraZeneca vaccine that are due to expire in a few days.

In a letter to her provincial and territorial counterparts, federal Health Minster Patty Hajdu encourages provinces that aren't able to get their AstraZeneca doses into people's arms by the end of the month to give them to provinces that can.

She offers federal support to help ensure the doses are not wasted.

Hajdu says the Public Health Agency of Canada can assist with logistics and co-ordination should a province or territory conclude that it can't use all its doses before the expiration date and wants to transfer them elsewhere in the country.

The issue is set to be discussed further today during Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's regular pandemic conference call with first ministers.

It's not clear how many doses are at risk of going to waste, but Ontario is scrambling to use some 45,000 AstraZeneca shots by the end of May, with another 10,000 set to expire in June, while Manitoba has said it has 7,000 doses that will expire in a few days.

Most provinces stopped giving first doses of AstraZeneca earlier this month due to the risk of recipients developing a rare but potentially fatal blood clotting condition. The risk of blood clots is far less after the second shot.

Last Friday, Ontario announced that it would start giving second doses of the vaccine to those who received a first AstraZeneca shot between March 10-19.

But since then eligible people trying to access those second shots have run into difficulty finding pharmacies that actually have any AstraZeneca vaccines to administer.

In her letter to her provincial counterparts Wednesday, Hajdu notes "a growing concern regarding doses of the AstraZeneca (AZ) vaccine, which will be expiring at the end of May."

"In particular, I want to offer support to ensure that these doses are used before they expire in order to allow us to continue to offer second doses to Canadians and avoid wastage of vaccines," she says.

"Minimizing wastage will allow us to offer second doses of Astra Zeneca to fully vaccinate people faster, which in turn will support safe reopening of our communities and economy."

If a province or territory can't use all its AstraZeneca doses before their expiration date, Hajdu urges them "to communicate with other provinces that may be well positioned to administer these doses within their system."

MORE National ARTICLES

Mask discrimination case tossed by B.C. tribunal

Mask discrimination case tossed by B.C. tribunal
The warning is contained in a screening decision published Wednesday as tribunal member Steven Adamson addresses what he describes as a large volume of complaints alleging discrimination related to mask requirements.

Mask discrimination case tossed by B.C. tribunal

Care home staff shortage in COVID outbreak: report

Care home staff shortage in COVID outbreak: report
The Vancouver Coastal Health inspection report obtained by The Canadian Press through a freedom of information request says these two issues were rectified while the outbreak was underway in Little Mountain Place.

Care home staff shortage in COVID outbreak: report

B.C. law gives workers time off for vaccines

B.C. law gives workers time off for vaccines
Labour Minister Harry Bains says the safeguard will ensure that no one will lose their job if they need time away to get vaccinated.

B.C. law gives workers time off for vaccines

Meng case has 'overwhelming' U.S. connection: AG

Meng case has 'overwhelming' U.S. connection: AG
"The flaws in their argument run so wide and so deep, I scarcely know where to begin," Frater told the judge.

Meng case has 'overwhelming' U.S. connection: AG

Rural expansion for B.C. overdose supports

Rural expansion for B.C. overdose supports
More than $1 million in grants will be provided to 23 rural, remote and Indigenous communities where substance use services can be limited and the illicit drug overdose crisis is magnified.

Rural expansion for B.C. overdose supports

Stay-at-home order needed to control third wave, Ontario science advisers say

Stay-at-home order needed to control third wave, Ontario science advisers say
The projections were released just hours before Premier Doug Ford was expected to announce a four-week provincewide "shutdown."

Stay-at-home order needed to control third wave, Ontario science advisers say