Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Don't let AstraZeneca vaccines go to waste: Hajdu

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 May, 2021 10:20 AM
  • Don't let AstraZeneca vaccines go to waste: Hajdu

The federal government is urging provinces not to waste thousands of doses of AstraZeneca vaccine that are due to expire in a few days.

In a letter to her provincial and territorial counterparts, federal Health Minster Patty Hajdu encourages provinces that aren't able to get their AstraZeneca doses into people's arms by the end of the month to give them to provinces that can.

She offers federal support to help ensure the doses are not wasted.

Hajdu says the Public Health Agency of Canada can assist with logistics and co-ordination should a province or territory conclude that it can't use all its doses before the expiration date and wants to transfer them elsewhere in the country.

The issue is set to be discussed further today during Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's regular pandemic conference call with first ministers.

It's not clear how many doses are at risk of going to waste, but Ontario is scrambling to use some 45,000 AstraZeneca shots by the end of May, with another 10,000 set to expire in June, while Manitoba has said it has 7,000 doses that will expire in a few days.

Most provinces stopped giving first doses of AstraZeneca earlier this month due to the risk of recipients developing a rare but potentially fatal blood clotting condition. The risk of blood clots is far less after the second shot.

Last Friday, Ontario announced that it would start giving second doses of the vaccine to those who received a first AstraZeneca shot between March 10-19.

But since then eligible people trying to access those second shots have run into difficulty finding pharmacies that actually have any AstraZeneca vaccines to administer.

In her letter to her provincial counterparts Wednesday, Hajdu notes "a growing concern regarding doses of the AstraZeneca (AZ) vaccine, which will be expiring at the end of May."

"In particular, I want to offer support to ensure that these doses are used before they expire in order to allow us to continue to offer second doses to Canadians and avoid wastage of vaccines," she says.

"Minimizing wastage will allow us to offer second doses of Astra Zeneca to fully vaccinate people faster, which in turn will support safe reopening of our communities and economy."

If a province or territory can't use all its AstraZeneca doses before their expiration date, Hajdu urges them "to communicate with other provinces that may be well positioned to administer these doses within their system."

MORE National ARTICLES

COVAX vaccines reach 100 countries in 42 days

COVAX vaccines reach 100 countries in 42 days
More than 60 of the 100 countries are low- and middle-income nations for whom COVAX is the main, if not only, supply of vaccines.

COVAX vaccines reach 100 countries in 42 days

Changing COVID rules causing confusion: doctors

Changing COVID rules causing confusion: doctors
The national advocacy group representing Canada’s doctors said constant changes to restrictions have left people frustrated and are detrimental to its purpose.

Changing COVID rules causing confusion: doctors

Boy reports unprovoked attack in Esquimalt, B.C.

Boy reports unprovoked attack in Esquimalt, B.C.
Victoria police say the youth was on his way to school just after 8 a.m. Wednesday when he was grabbed and pulled from his bike by a man he did not know.

Boy reports unprovoked attack in Esquimalt, B.C.

Police probe fatal stabbing in Abbotsford, B.C.

Police probe fatal stabbing in Abbotsford, B.C.
A critically injured 35-year-old man was found in a tent and died a short time later in hospital.

Police probe fatal stabbing in Abbotsford, B.C.

Restrictions tighten amid third wave of COVID-19

Restrictions tighten amid third wave of COVID-19
Among the most sweeping changes are a four-week stay-at-home order and vaccines targeting hot spots announced by Ontario Premier Doug Ford on Wednesday.

Restrictions tighten amid third wave of COVID-19

N95 masks start rolling off Ontario assembly line

N95 masks start rolling off Ontario assembly line
The masks are being produced by 3M Canada following a multimillion-dollar deal between Ottawa and Queen's Park announced last August by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ontario Premier Doug Ford.

N95 masks start rolling off Ontario assembly line