Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Double blow as S&P and Moody's downgrade B.C.'s credit rating again, citing deficit

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Apr, 2025 10:59 AM
  • Double blow as S&P and Moody's downgrade B.C.'s credit rating again, citing deficit

Credit rating agencies S&P and Moody's have both downgraded British Columbia's rating on the same day, citingthe province's ballooning deficit and the apparent lack of a plan to dig the province out of its fiscal hole.

S&P Global Ratings cut the province's long-term issuer creditrating to A+ from AA- on Wednesday, while Moody's Ratings downgraded its key baseline assessment to aa2 from aa1.

Moody's said in a news release that its downgrade reflected a "structural deterioration in British Columbia's credit profile" and it predicted this year's deficit would soar to $14.3 billion.

That's more than 31 per cent higher than the forecast in Finance Minister Brenda Bailey's budget last month, and 57 per cent higher than the most recent estimate of last year's deficit.

Moody's said its credit outlook for B.C. remained negative with no "clear visibility" on how the province would balance its finances.

"The uncertain trade environment with potential further negative implications on the provincial economy and fiscal position adds further risks to British Columbia's credit profile," Moody's said.

A lower credit rating can make it harder for a government to secure loans and attract investment, and can force it to offer higher rates on its bonds.

S&P said there was a "fiscal mismatch" in the government's operations, blaming its fourth downgrade in four years on "considerable" deficits and rapid debt accumulation continuing through to the 2028 fiscal year. 

It also cited the apparent lack of a strategy to scale down the deficit.

"A lack of a credible medium-term plan outlining how the province will tackle its structural budgetary shortfall could cause us to weaken our financial management assessment, potentially leading to a lower issuer credit rating," it said.

S&P said it retained a negative outlook for B.C.'s finances, reflecting a one-in-three chance of a further downgrade in the next two years if the province's "commitment to fiscal consolidation continues to waver."

Bailey told reporters in the legislature that the government had known there was a "strong likelihood" of the downgrades given the "complex circumstance" posed by the Canada-U. S. trade war.

She said Moody's noted that B.C.'s economy "remains strong and resilient and diversified."

But the agency squarely blamed the deterioration of the deficit on Premier David Eby's NDP government.

"The increase in deficits and rising debt largely stems from provincial policy choices, which we view as evidence of a continued weakening in governance and fiscal and debt management, from high standings," Moody's said.

"We view this as a notable departure from the province's historical approach of budgeting that focused on limiting the growth in debt or protecting its fiscal position."

Asked about both ratings agencies' complaint about the apparent lack of a plan to balance B.C.'s books, Bailey said the budget "has us getting started" on that target. 

"We're approaching this work with the very specific goal of protecting core services for British Columbians," she said.

Opposition Leader John Rustad of the B.C. Conservatives said the downgrades were "a direct consequence of reckless spending and economic mismanagement by David Eby."

“British Columbians are paying more and getting less. Now, we’re paying the price with a weaker credit rating, which means higher borrowing costs for our province," he said in a statement.

Bailey's budget had forecast a record deficit of $10.9 billion this fiscal year, while the end of B.C.'s consumer carbon tax on Tuesday is poised see the deficit continue to grow, something noted by Moody's.

S&P also cut B.C.'s short-term rating to A-1 from A-1+, while Moody's downgraded its long-term issuer and senior unsecured debt ratings to Aa1 from Aaa.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 2, 2025.

MORE National ARTICLES

Environment Canada issues weather warnings for B.C. coast, mountain passes

Environment Canada issues weather warnings for B.C. coast, mountain passes
Environment Canada says strong winds and heavy rain are expected overnight and into Monday for British Columbia's south coast. The weather agency says lower amounts are expected elsewhere across the region. It says strong southeast winds are also expected overnight before becoming "very strong west to northwest winds" on Monday.

Environment Canada issues weather warnings for B.C. coast, mountain passes

String of robberies in Surrey

String of robberies in Surrey
Police in Surrey say they're investigating a series of residential robberies believed to be linked to similar break-and-enter incidents in other areas of the Lower Mainland. Surrey RCMP say the suspects work in a team of three, targeting large, single-family homes that are unoccupied at the time, often between 5 and 9 p-m.

String of robberies in Surrey

B.C. port employers issue lockout notice in labour dispute with foremen union

B.C. port employers issue lockout notice in labour dispute with foremen union
Ports in British Columbia are waking up to the possibility of another provincewide labour disruption as employers say they will lock out members of the union representing more than 700 foremen after it served a strike notice. The BC Maritime Employers Association says in a statement that it has issued a formal notice that it will "defensively" lock out members of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 starting Monday at 8 a.m.

B.C. port employers issue lockout notice in labour dispute with foremen union

Man flees to India in AP Dhillon shooting

Man flees to India in AP Dhillon shooting
Mounties on Vancouver Island say a man has been arrested in Ontario and another is believed to have fled to India after shots were fired at a home in Greater Victoria last month. Property records show the home is owned by Punjabi music star A-P Dhillon, who posted on Instagram after the shooting that he was safe.

Man flees to India in AP Dhillon shooting

Vancouver confirms CRAB Park temporary sheltering area will close next week

Vancouver confirms CRAB Park temporary sheltering area will close next week
The City of Vancouver says the remaining seven residents of an encampment at a Downtown Eastside park have a week to pack up their belongings and leave, or they must remove their tents each day as the area returns to regular daytime use. A statement from the city says people may continue sheltering at CRAB Park overnight, but structures must be taken down by 8 a.m. each day starting Nov. 7.

Vancouver confirms CRAB Park temporary sheltering area will close next week

Suspicious activity with van

Suspicious activity with van
Police in Metro Vancouver say they're investigating two reports of suspicious interactions involving a man driving a white van approaching young girls. New Westminster police say they received the second report after issuing a public statement about the first interaction involving two 12-year-old girls on October 26th.

Suspicious activity with van