Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Dozen Overdoses Reported Within Four Hours In Surrey: Fraser Health

The Canadian Press, 29 Oct, 2018 11:11 AM
    SURREY, B.C. — Public health officials in British Columbia's Lower Mainland are warning drug users to consume less than they normally would following a spike in overdoses Friday night.
     
     
    The Fraser Health Authority has issued an overdose alert to service providers and community organizations in north Surrey, saying there had been a "significant increase" in overdoses over the course of four hours.
     
     
    The authority says 12 overdoses were reported but it can't provide a total number, as not all overdoses are reported in the community. It also says it's unable to confirm whether any deaths have occurred, as they would not immediately be reported to Fraser Health.
     
     
    The health authority is encouraging service providers to have overdose prevention conversations where possible, particularly when people pick up harm reduction supplies, and to offer naloxone kits to clients.
     
     
    It says people who use substances should try a little before taking their "regular" amount, avoid using alone and stagger use with friends so someone can respond if needed.
     
     
    If you believe someone is experiencing an overdose, authorities say you should call 911 and provide breaths every five seconds until the person regains consciousness or help arrives.
     
     
    The Good Samaritan Drug Overdose Act provides immunity from simple possession charges for those who call 911 in the case of an overdose.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    'Shoot Me in the Head.' Video Footage Shows the Toronto Van Attack Suspect’s Arrest- WATCH

    'Shoot Me in the Head.' Video Footage Shows the Toronto Van Attack Suspect’s Arrest- WATCH
    Mike McCormack of the Toronto Police Association said the arrest, caught on videos that have been widely circulated on social media, has served as a glimmer of hope for a city caught in tragedy.

    'Shoot Me in the Head.' Video Footage Shows the Toronto Van Attack Suspect’s Arrest- WATCH

    Toronto Van Attack Accused Alek Minassian Was Briefly In Armed Forces

    Toronto Van Attack Accused Alek Minassian Was Briefly In Armed Forces
    A spokeswoman with the Department of National Defence says Alek Minassian was a member of the forces from Aug. 23, 2017 until Oct. 25.

    Toronto Van Attack Accused Alek Minassian Was Briefly In Armed Forces

    Vancouver To Rake In $30 Million In Empty Homes Tax In First Year

    Vancouver To Rake In $30 Million In Empty Homes Tax In First Year
    The city of Vancouver's new empty homes tax is expected to bring in $30 million in revenue in its first year. 

    Vancouver To Rake In $30 Million In Empty Homes Tax In First Year

    Toronto Attack: Multiple Fatalities After Several Pedestrians Struck By Van - VIDEOS

    Toronto Attack: Multiple Fatalities After Several Pedestrians Struck By Van - VIDEOS
    Police have arrested a suspect after a white van mounted the curb and struck numerous pedestrians in Toronto.

    Toronto Attack: Multiple Fatalities After Several Pedestrians Struck By Van - VIDEOS

    Vancouver's Chinese Community Receives Apology For Historical Discrimination

    Vancouver's Chinese Community Receives Apology For Historical Discrimination
    Vancouver city council has delivered a formal apology to the Chinese community for historical discrimination.

    Vancouver's Chinese Community Receives Apology For Historical Discrimination

    NDP Wants MPs To Invite Pope Francis To Apologize For Residential Schools

    The NDP is hoping MPs from other parties will join them in issuing a formal invitation to Pope Francis to apologize to residential school survivors.

    NDP Wants MPs To Invite Pope Francis To Apologize For Residential Schools