Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 05:23 PM
  • Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

More than 60 Canadian front-line firefighters are on their way to the Los Angeles area as part of international efforts to fight the raging wildfires that have claimed lives and destroyed thousands homes. 

A statement from the B.C. Ministry of Forests says a team of 22 crew members and one agency representative left for Los Angeles on Monday and are in addition to a dozen technical specialists who arrived in Los Angeles on the weekend. 

The statement says the technical staff, who specialize in advanced planning, logistics, aviation, and fire weather, are expected to be in the United States for at least two weeks.

The Alberta government says 40 wildland firefighters and two agency representatives also left Monday for California.

Alberta Forestry Minister Todd Loewen says firefighters are expected to be on the ground within the next few days and will stay for at least two weeks.

As of Monday morning at least 24 people had died after being caught in the wildfires around Los Angeles, which have burned more than 160-square kilometres in less than a week.

Most of the damage has been caused by two fires — the Palisades Fire and the Eaton Fire. Both are considered to be less than 30 per cent contained as of Monday. 

About 50,000 people are under evacuation orders, and as of Monday, more than a dozen people were considered missing.

Loewen says additional resources like water bombers, night-vision helicopters and more firefighters could be deployed if requested.

"Good neighbours are always there for each other," he says, adding that Alberta is ready to return the favour after 115 firefighters from California came to help during the province's record-breaking 2023 wildfire season.

"In 2023, California firefighters bravely supported Alberta in a time of great need," he told reporters. 

"Now Alberta is answering the call and stepping up to support our friends and partners in the United States."

MORE National ARTICLES

Singh won't support Conservative non-confidence motion that uses his own words

Singh won't support Conservative non-confidence motion that uses his own words
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says he won't play Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's games by voting to bring down the government on an upcoming non-confidence motion. The Conservatives plan to introduce a motion that quotes Singh's own criticism of the Liberals, and asks the House of Commons to declare that it agrees with Singh and has no confidence in the government.

Singh won't support Conservative non-confidence motion that uses his own words

Uptick in homes sales in Vancouver

Uptick in homes sales in Vancouver
Realtors in Metro Vancouver say buyers are taking advantage of a relatively balanced market as the number of homes changing hands in November rose more than 28 per cent from the same month last year. The Greater Vancouver Realtors board says almost 22-hundred existing homes were sold last month, up from the roughly 17-hundred figure recorded in November 2023.

Uptick in homes sales in Vancouver

2 youths stabbed in Langley

2 youths stabbed in Langley
Mounties in Langley say two youth have been taken to hospital for non-life-threatening injuries after being stabbed in attacks that may be connected. Police say officers responded this morning to a call of a young person who had been stabbed. 

2 youths stabbed in Langley

Man hurt in unprovoked stranger attack in Vancouver, police say

Man hurt in unprovoked stranger attack in Vancouver, police say
Police are investigating an assault in downtown Vancouver where a stranger hit a man in the face in an unprovoked attack.  Vancouver Police say the attack happened over the weekend on West Georgia Street in front of the Hudson's Bay store, where surveillance cameras caught the assault on video.

Man hurt in unprovoked stranger attack in Vancouver, police say

Canadian among three climbers missing on New Zealand's highest peak

Canadian among three climbers missing on New Zealand's highest peak
A Canadian is among three climbers missing after they'd planned to climb New Zealand's highest peak. A news release from the New Zealand Police says two Americans, Kurt Blair, 56, and Carlos Romero, 50, and the unnamed Canadian flew into Plateau Hut on Saturday morning and planned to summit Aoraki, also known as Mount Cook.

Canadian among three climbers missing on New Zealand's highest peak

Anti-Israel war protesters arrested following sit-in at parliamentary building

Anti-Israel war protesters arrested following sit-in at parliamentary building
Fourteen people were arrested on Parliament Hill this morning after staging a sit-in demanding Canada immediately stop sending any weapons to Israel. The protesters from Jews Say No to Genocide Coalition sat shoulder-to-shoulder in the entrance to the Confederation Building, which contains dozens of offices for members of Parliament.

Anti-Israel war protesters arrested following sit-in at parliamentary building