Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 05:23 PM
  • Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

More than 60 Canadian front-line firefighters are on their way to the Los Angeles area as part of international efforts to fight the raging wildfires that have claimed lives and destroyed thousands homes. 

A statement from the B.C. Ministry of Forests says a team of 22 crew members and one agency representative left for Los Angeles on Monday and are in addition to a dozen technical specialists who arrived in Los Angeles on the weekend. 

The statement says the technical staff, who specialize in advanced planning, logistics, aviation, and fire weather, are expected to be in the United States for at least two weeks.

The Alberta government says 40 wildland firefighters and two agency representatives also left Monday for California.

Alberta Forestry Minister Todd Loewen says firefighters are expected to be on the ground within the next few days and will stay for at least two weeks.

As of Monday morning at least 24 people had died after being caught in the wildfires around Los Angeles, which have burned more than 160-square kilometres in less than a week.

Most of the damage has been caused by two fires — the Palisades Fire and the Eaton Fire. Both are considered to be less than 30 per cent contained as of Monday. 

About 50,000 people are under evacuation orders, and as of Monday, more than a dozen people were considered missing.

Loewen says additional resources like water bombers, night-vision helicopters and more firefighters could be deployed if requested.

"Good neighbours are always there for each other," he says, adding that Alberta is ready to return the favour after 115 firefighters from California came to help during the province's record-breaking 2023 wildfire season.

"In 2023, California firefighters bravely supported Alberta in a time of great need," he told reporters. 

"Now Alberta is answering the call and stepping up to support our friends and partners in the United States."

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadians in Florida urged to exercise caution in Hurricane Milton aftermath

Canadians in Florida urged to exercise caution in Hurricane Milton aftermath
Mark Robinson travelled to Florida on Tuesday to follow Milton's development along the west coast, and says its rapid development made forecasting the exact location and landfall time challenging to predict, meaning residents in the state had little time to prepare.

Canadians in Florida urged to exercise caution in Hurricane Milton aftermath

Poilievre supports mandatory drug, psychiatric treatment for kids, prisoners

Poilievre supports mandatory drug, psychiatric treatment for kids, prisoners
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he's in favour of mandatory, involuntary drug and psychiatric treatment for kids and prisoners who are found to be incapable of making decisions for themselves. He said earlier this summer he was open to the idea, but needed to study the issue more closely.

Poilievre supports mandatory drug, psychiatric treatment for kids, prisoners

4 Sea-Doos stolen: Richmond RCMP

4 Sea-Doos stolen: Richmond RCMP
Richmond R-C-M-P say they're investigating after four Sea-Doos were stolen in a two-week period. They say the watercraft were taken from marinas located in the Moray Bridge area.

4 Sea-Doos stolen: Richmond RCMP

B.C. Conservatives stand by candidate who called Palestinian children 'inbred'

B.C. Conservatives stand by candidate who called Palestinian children 'inbred'
Conservatives Leader John Rustad says he has accepted the apology of Surrey South candidate Brent Chapman and won't ask him to step down, but Eby says a candidate engaged in such speech should be fired. Chapman's comments in a series of social media posts about 10 years ago are resurfacing days ahead of the Oct. 19 provincial election.

B.C. Conservatives stand by candidate who called Palestinian children 'inbred'

BC Coroners Service says no record of fatal overdose where Rustad says he saw man die

BC Coroners Service says no record of fatal overdose where Rustad says he saw man die
Rustad told Tuesday's party leaders' debate that he saw someone die "from an overdose" on the corner of Robson and Hornby streets in Vancouver, later telling a news conference he watched first responders "pumping his chest" as an ambulance arrived.

BC Coroners Service says no record of fatal overdose where Rustad says he saw man die

Eby says he'll focus on NDP's record in B.C., but can't resist more digs at Rustad

Eby says he'll focus on NDP's record in B.C., but can't resist more digs at Rustad
But in his first scheduled appearance after the sole televised debate of the closely fought election, Eby repeatedly turned back to his opponent, saying B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad was "vague" about his plans, and pointed out again that the B.C. Conservatives had not released their costed platform.

Eby says he'll focus on NDP's record in B.C., but can't resist more digs at Rustad