Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 05:23 PM
  • Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

More than 60 Canadian front-line firefighters are on their way to the Los Angeles area as part of international efforts to fight the raging wildfires that have claimed lives and destroyed thousands homes. 

A statement from the B.C. Ministry of Forests says a team of 22 crew members and one agency representative left for Los Angeles on Monday and are in addition to a dozen technical specialists who arrived in Los Angeles on the weekend. 

The statement says the technical staff, who specialize in advanced planning, logistics, aviation, and fire weather, are expected to be in the United States for at least two weeks.

The Alberta government says 40 wildland firefighters and two agency representatives also left Monday for California.

Alberta Forestry Minister Todd Loewen says firefighters are expected to be on the ground within the next few days and will stay for at least two weeks.

As of Monday morning at least 24 people had died after being caught in the wildfires around Los Angeles, which have burned more than 160-square kilometres in less than a week.

Most of the damage has been caused by two fires — the Palisades Fire and the Eaton Fire. Both are considered to be less than 30 per cent contained as of Monday. 

About 50,000 people are under evacuation orders, and as of Monday, more than a dozen people were considered missing.

Loewen says additional resources like water bombers, night-vision helicopters and more firefighters could be deployed if requested.

"Good neighbours are always there for each other," he says, adding that Alberta is ready to return the favour after 115 firefighters from California came to help during the province's record-breaking 2023 wildfire season.

"In 2023, California firefighters bravely supported Alberta in a time of great need," he told reporters. 

"Now Alberta is answering the call and stepping up to support our friends and partners in the United States."

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged in assault

Man charged in assault
Surrey police say a 41-year-old man has been charged with aggravated assault in connection to a stabbing last month. R-C-M-P say a woman was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries on May 26th.

Man charged in assault

BC United Leader Kevin Falcon loses another candidate to Rustad's Conservatives

BC United Leader Kevin Falcon loses another candidate to Rustad's Conservatives
BC United Leader Kevin Falcon has lost another member of his election team to British Columbia's Conservative Party. Business leader and former District of Sechelt councillor Chris Moore announced he will no longer represent BC United in the October provincial election in the Powell River-Sunshine Coast riding and will instead run as a candidate for Leader John Rustad's Conservatives.

BC United Leader Kevin Falcon loses another candidate to Rustad's Conservatives

Extreme heat deaths higher among seniors and in cities with more renters, study says

Extreme heat deaths higher among seniors and in cities with more renters, study says
A new report by Statistics Canada says deaths in the country's 12 highest-population cities go up on days when there is extreme heat.  The study says people aged 65 and older are the hardest hit. Cities with larger proportions of people renting their homes had higher risks of death during extreme heat events. 

Extreme heat deaths higher among seniors and in cities with more renters, study says

Calgary marks two weeks of water restrictions; pipe pieces arrive from San Diego

Calgary marks two weeks of water restrictions; pipe pieces arrive from San Diego
It has been two weeks since a massive water pipe ruptured in Calgary, leaving residents under restrictions. Mayor Jyoti Gondek said Wednesday also marked the fourth day in a row Calgarians have successfully used less water than the city produces, avoiding the risk of the taps going dry. 

Calgary marks two weeks of water restrictions; pipe pieces arrive from San Diego

House of Commons summer recess begins Wednesday afternoon

House of Commons summer recess begins Wednesday afternoon
Most federal Liberals still insist they can turn things around in the polls once Canadians really start looking at the options in front of them. MPs gathered on Parliament Hill for the final time today before the summer recess, and members of all parties seemed eager for the break.

House of Commons summer recess begins Wednesday afternoon

Health firm settles with B.C. medical commission on extra-billing for health services

Health firm settles with B.C. medical commission on extra-billing for health services
The commission filed a petition to B.C. Supreme Court last year against Harrison Healthcare asking for an injunction, saying a reasonable person would believe they could obtain priority access to health benefits by paying $4,500 a year for a premium service.

Health firm settles with B.C. medical commission on extra-billing for health services