Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 05:23 PM
  • Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

More than 60 Canadian front-line firefighters are on their way to the Los Angeles area as part of international efforts to fight the raging wildfires that have claimed lives and destroyed thousands homes. 

A statement from the B.C. Ministry of Forests says a team of 22 crew members and one agency representative left for Los Angeles on Monday and are in addition to a dozen technical specialists who arrived in Los Angeles on the weekend. 

The statement says the technical staff, who specialize in advanced planning, logistics, aviation, and fire weather, are expected to be in the United States for at least two weeks.

The Alberta government says 40 wildland firefighters and two agency representatives also left Monday for California.

Alberta Forestry Minister Todd Loewen says firefighters are expected to be on the ground within the next few days and will stay for at least two weeks.

As of Monday morning at least 24 people had died after being caught in the wildfires around Los Angeles, which have burned more than 160-square kilometres in less than a week.

Most of the damage has been caused by two fires — the Palisades Fire and the Eaton Fire. Both are considered to be less than 30 per cent contained as of Monday. 

About 50,000 people are under evacuation orders, and as of Monday, more than a dozen people were considered missing.

Loewen says additional resources like water bombers, night-vision helicopters and more firefighters could be deployed if requested.

"Good neighbours are always there for each other," he says, adding that Alberta is ready to return the favour after 115 firefighters from California came to help during the province's record-breaking 2023 wildfire season.

"In 2023, California firefighters bravely supported Alberta in a time of great need," he told reporters. 

"Now Alberta is answering the call and stepping up to support our friends and partners in the United States."

MORE National ARTICLES

Violence in Montreal had nothing to do with pro-Palestinian cause: police chief

Violence in Montreal had nothing to do with pro-Palestinian cause: police chief
Montreal's police chief says it's "impossible" for protest organizers to prevent people bent on violence from infiltrating demonstrations.  Fady Dagher says the organizers of Friday's anti-NATO protest in Montreal bear limited responsibility for the relatively small number of people who smashed windows during the demonstration. 

Violence in Montreal had nothing to do with pro-Palestinian cause: police chief

Trump's 25% per cent tariff would lead to pain on both sides of border, leaders say

Trump's 25% per cent tariff would lead to pain on both sides of border, leaders say
The president-elect posted to Truth Social on Monday that he would sign an executive order imposing a 25 per cent tariff on all products coming in to the United States from Canada and Mexico.

Trump's 25% per cent tariff would lead to pain on both sides of border, leaders say

350K for Vancouver music fund

350K for Vancouver music fund
Vancouver is committing 350-thousand-dollars to the city's Music Fund. It says the funding will support Indigenous and underrepresented groups working in the music and sound recording industry.

350K for Vancouver music fund

Montreal mayor, police chief say masks will delay arrests after violent protest

Montreal mayor, police chief say masks will delay arrests after violent protest
Montreal’s mayor and police chief both say it will take time to arrest everyone who smashed windows and burned cars during a demonstration outside a NATO conference on Friday evening, since most of them had their faces covered. Police have so far arrested three people in connection with Friday’s protest, and police Chief Fady Dagher says there will be more arrests. 

Montreal mayor, police chief say masks will delay arrests after violent protest

Mother orca and her children make 'grocery shopping' trip near downtown Vancouver

Mother orca and her children make 'grocery shopping' trip near downtown Vancouver
A family of killer whales has made a rare trip into waters off downtown Vancouver for what an expert says was likely a "grocery shopping" hunt for harbour seals. Video shared on social media by False Creek Ferries shows the whales cruising past highrise towers at the entrance to False Creek on Sunday.

Mother orca and her children make 'grocery shopping' trip near downtown Vancouver

B.C. opens disaster aid to atmospheric river flood victims

B.C. opens disaster aid to atmospheric river flood victims
British Columbia is making disaster financial assistance available to victims of floodwaters that gushed through several communities when an atmospheric river dumped hundreds of millimetres of rain on parts of the province last month. The province says flood-affected residents of Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam, the Squamish First Nation and North and West Vancouver are eligible.

B.C. opens disaster aid to atmospheric river flood victims