Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 05:23 PM
  • Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

More than 60 Canadian front-line firefighters are on their way to the Los Angeles area as part of international efforts to fight the raging wildfires that have claimed lives and destroyed thousands homes. 

A statement from the B.C. Ministry of Forests says a team of 22 crew members and one agency representative left for Los Angeles on Monday and are in addition to a dozen technical specialists who arrived in Los Angeles on the weekend. 

The statement says the technical staff, who specialize in advanced planning, logistics, aviation, and fire weather, are expected to be in the United States for at least two weeks.

The Alberta government says 40 wildland firefighters and two agency representatives also left Monday for California.

Alberta Forestry Minister Todd Loewen says firefighters are expected to be on the ground within the next few days and will stay for at least two weeks.

As of Monday morning at least 24 people had died after being caught in the wildfires around Los Angeles, which have burned more than 160-square kilometres in less than a week.

Most of the damage has been caused by two fires — the Palisades Fire and the Eaton Fire. Both are considered to be less than 30 per cent contained as of Monday. 

About 50,000 people are under evacuation orders, and as of Monday, more than a dozen people were considered missing.

Loewen says additional resources like water bombers, night-vision helicopters and more firefighters could be deployed if requested.

"Good neighbours are always there for each other," he says, adding that Alberta is ready to return the favour after 115 firefighters from California came to help during the province's record-breaking 2023 wildfire season.

"In 2023, California firefighters bravely supported Alberta in a time of great need," he told reporters. 

"Now Alberta is answering the call and stepping up to support our friends and partners in the United States."

MORE National ARTICLES

Grizzly bear cubs seen on Vancouver Island for first time could have big impact

Grizzly bear cubs seen on Vancouver Island for first time could have big impact
When wildlife photographer Catherine Babault captured images of a female grizzly bear with two cubs encountering a herd of elk on Vancouver Island last month, she knew she had witnessed something special.

Grizzly bear cubs seen on Vancouver Island for first time could have big impact

Man charged in alleged assault

Man charged in alleged assault
Police say a man has been charged after an alleged assault last month where the victim reported waking up to a strange man groping her in her home. Surrey RCMP say they responded to the report at about 3:15 a-m on July 20th and the victim told officers that the suspect ran away when she screamed for help.

Man charged in alleged assault

Facebook marketplace scam in Okanagan

Facebook marketplace scam in Okanagan
Police in the Okanagan are warning the public of a new Facebook marketplace scam that involves sellers as the victims. Kelowna R-C-M-P say the would-be buyer offers to pay for the items and claims they will electronically transfer the money, telling the seller to check their email.

Facebook marketplace scam in Okanagan

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more
Canadian National Railway Co. and Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. have already begun a phased shutdown of their networks as the deadline approaches to come to an agreement with the Teamsters Canada Rail Conference for a new labour contract. Unless deals are reached, the companies plan to lock out workers early Thursday and the union says it's prepared to call a strike that day.

'Unacceptable': Business groups say rail stoppage would hit grain, groceries and more

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident
Two Vancouver police officers have been charged with assault related to an off-duty incident last December. Court records show Brian Hunt and Joshua Wong each face one count of assault over an offence alleged to have occurred on Dec. 16, 2023, in Vancouver.

Two Vancouver police officers charged with assault after alleged off-duty incident

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street
A City of Vancouver official says a huge crane that crashed down on a busy street will likely be removed in two days, after blocking the route for more than two weeks. Saul Schwebs says crews are "demolishing the crane, not salvaging it."

Removal underway for huge crane blocking Vancouver street