Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 05:23 PM
  • Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

More than 60 Canadian front-line firefighters are on their way to the Los Angeles area as part of international efforts to fight the raging wildfires that have claimed lives and destroyed thousands homes. 

A statement from the B.C. Ministry of Forests says a team of 22 crew members and one agency representative left for Los Angeles on Monday and are in addition to a dozen technical specialists who arrived in Los Angeles on the weekend. 

The statement says the technical staff, who specialize in advanced planning, logistics, aviation, and fire weather, are expected to be in the United States for at least two weeks.

The Alberta government says 40 wildland firefighters and two agency representatives also left Monday for California.

Alberta Forestry Minister Todd Loewen says firefighters are expected to be on the ground within the next few days and will stay for at least two weeks.

As of Monday morning at least 24 people had died after being caught in the wildfires around Los Angeles, which have burned more than 160-square kilometres in less than a week.

Most of the damage has been caused by two fires — the Palisades Fire and the Eaton Fire. Both are considered to be less than 30 per cent contained as of Monday. 

About 50,000 people are under evacuation orders, and as of Monday, more than a dozen people were considered missing.

Loewen says additional resources like water bombers, night-vision helicopters and more firefighters could be deployed if requested.

"Good neighbours are always there for each other," he says, adding that Alberta is ready to return the favour after 115 firefighters from California came to help during the province's record-breaking 2023 wildfire season.

"In 2023, California firefighters bravely supported Alberta in a time of great need," he told reporters. 

"Now Alberta is answering the call and stepping up to support our friends and partners in the United States."

MORE National ARTICLES

Police say 3 men arrested, charged in the killing of B.C. Sikh activist, Nijjar

Police say 3 men arrested, charged in the killing of B.C. Sikh activist, Nijjar
Three Indian nationals have been charged with the murder of B.C. Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar, in a killing last year that threw Ottawa's relationship with New Delhi into disarray. Police say they are investigating if the Indian government was involved, an allegation raised by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in the House of Commons last year.  

Police say 3 men arrested, charged in the killing of B.C. Sikh activist, Nijjar

What delayed Alberta carbon capture project: analysts

What delayed Alberta carbon capture project: analysts
A corporate decision to mothball Canada's largest carbon capture and storage plan is likely the result of financial uncertainty and technological risks, analysts suggest.

What delayed Alberta carbon capture project: analysts

Alberta government to amend bill granting it sweeping powers over municipalities

Alberta government to amend bill granting it sweeping powers over municipalities
The Alberta government, in the face of mounting criticism, says it will make changes to a bill that gives Premier Danielle Smith and her cabinet unfettered power to overturn local bylaws and fire mayors and councillors.

Alberta government to amend bill granting it sweeping powers over municipalities

Alberta announces expansion of newborn screening program, research for women's health

Alberta announces expansion of newborn screening program, research for women's health
Alberta is expanding the screening process for all newborns in the province and supporting more research related to women's health.  

Alberta announces expansion of newborn screening program, research for women's health

Canada will send $65M for humanitarian assistance and economic development to Lebanon

Canada will send $65M for humanitarian assistance and economic development to Lebanon
International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen announced a $65-million aid package for Lebanon today. 

Canada will send $65M for humanitarian assistance and economic development to Lebanon

Winnipeg judge rules trial of serial killer to start with jury

Winnipeg judge rules trial of serial killer to start with jury
A judge has decided the trial of a man accused of killing four women in Winnipeg will still be heard by a jury.

Winnipeg judge rules trial of serial killer to start with jury