Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 05:23 PM
  • Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

More than 60 Canadian front-line firefighters are on their way to the Los Angeles area as part of international efforts to fight the raging wildfires that have claimed lives and destroyed thousands homes. 

A statement from the B.C. Ministry of Forests says a team of 22 crew members and one agency representative left for Los Angeles on Monday and are in addition to a dozen technical specialists who arrived in Los Angeles on the weekend. 

The statement says the technical staff, who specialize in advanced planning, logistics, aviation, and fire weather, are expected to be in the United States for at least two weeks.

The Alberta government says 40 wildland firefighters and two agency representatives also left Monday for California.

Alberta Forestry Minister Todd Loewen says firefighters are expected to be on the ground within the next few days and will stay for at least two weeks.

As of Monday morning at least 24 people had died after being caught in the wildfires around Los Angeles, which have burned more than 160-square kilometres in less than a week.

Most of the damage has been caused by two fires — the Palisades Fire and the Eaton Fire. Both are considered to be less than 30 per cent contained as of Monday. 

About 50,000 people are under evacuation orders, and as of Monday, more than a dozen people were considered missing.

Loewen says additional resources like water bombers, night-vision helicopters and more firefighters could be deployed if requested.

"Good neighbours are always there for each other," he says, adding that Alberta is ready to return the favour after 115 firefighters from California came to help during the province's record-breaking 2023 wildfire season.

"In 2023, California firefighters bravely supported Alberta in a time of great need," he told reporters. 

"Now Alberta is answering the call and stepping up to support our friends and partners in the United States."

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada to seek to join AUKUS alliance, consider nuclear subs: Trudeau

Canada to seek to join AUKUS alliance, consider nuclear subs: Trudeau
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada is exploring the possibility of joining the second phase of AUKUS, a U.S.-led alliance with the United Kingdom and Australia.   The initial pillar of the alliance, forged in 2021, was focused on developing nuclear-powered submarines for Australia.

Canada to seek to join AUKUS alliance, consider nuclear subs: Trudeau

Delta lumber mill catches fire

Delta lumber mill catches fire
Firefighters in Delta, south of Vancouver, spent yesterday getting flames under control at a lumber mill along the Fraser River. Delta Fire Deputy Chief Dave Ayton says crews got the call at around 1 a-m yesterday and arrived to find a pile of stacked lumber on fire.

Delta lumber mill catches fire

Total solar eclipse set to bring darkness and celestial awe to Canadian crowds

Total solar eclipse set to bring darkness and celestial awe to Canadian crowds
Crowds from near and far, united in celestial anticipation, have started to gather along the Canadian path of the total solar eclipse.  The path of totality, where the sun goes directly behind the moon, will first cross through southwestern Ontario around 3:15 p.m. Monday and move east through Quebec and Atlantic Canada before exiting Newfoundland around 3:45 p.m. eastern time.

Total solar eclipse set to bring darkness and celestial awe to Canadian crowds

Arrest made in death of Vancouver woman

Arrest made in death of Vancouver woman
Police in Vancouver say they've made an arrest in the death of a 49-year-old woman found on a residential street in South Vancouver last week.  The woman was discovered unresponsive near Rosemont Drive and East 57th Avenue, near the Fraserview Golf Course, just after 6 a-m on Wednesday.

Arrest made in death of Vancouver woman

RCMP in Coquitlam search for vehicle submerged in Fraser River

RCMP in Coquitlam search for vehicle submerged in Fraser River
Police in Metro Vancouver say an underwater recovery team is working to locate a vehicle submerged in the Fraser River and determine whether it was occupied. Coquitlam RCMP say they received a report of a vehicle in the water by the boat launch at Maquabeak Park, near the Port Mann Bridge, shortly after 12:15 a.m. on Saturday.

RCMP in Coquitlam search for vehicle submerged in Fraser River

Two teens killed in head-on crash in northern B.C., RCMP seek information

Two teens killed in head-on crash in northern B.C., RCMP seek information
Mounties in northern British Columbia are asking for any information about a head-on crash that killed two teenagers and seriously injured another man. A statement from RCMP in Chetwynd, northeast of Prince George, says officers responded to the crash along Highway 97 just after midnight on Sunday.

Two teens killed in head-on crash in northern B.C., RCMP seek information