Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 05:23 PM
  • Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

More than 60 Canadian front-line firefighters are on their way to the Los Angeles area as part of international efforts to fight the raging wildfires that have claimed lives and destroyed thousands homes. 

A statement from the B.C. Ministry of Forests says a team of 22 crew members and one agency representative left for Los Angeles on Monday and are in addition to a dozen technical specialists who arrived in Los Angeles on the weekend. 

The statement says the technical staff, who specialize in advanced planning, logistics, aviation, and fire weather, are expected to be in the United States for at least two weeks.

The Alberta government says 40 wildland firefighters and two agency representatives also left Monday for California.

Alberta Forestry Minister Todd Loewen says firefighters are expected to be on the ground within the next few days and will stay for at least two weeks.

As of Monday morning at least 24 people had died after being caught in the wildfires around Los Angeles, which have burned more than 160-square kilometres in less than a week.

Most of the damage has been caused by two fires — the Palisades Fire and the Eaton Fire. Both are considered to be less than 30 per cent contained as of Monday. 

About 50,000 people are under evacuation orders, and as of Monday, more than a dozen people were considered missing.

Loewen says additional resources like water bombers, night-vision helicopters and more firefighters could be deployed if requested.

"Good neighbours are always there for each other," he says, adding that Alberta is ready to return the favour after 115 firefighters from California came to help during the province's record-breaking 2023 wildfire season.

"In 2023, California firefighters bravely supported Alberta in a time of great need," he told reporters. 

"Now Alberta is answering the call and stepping up to support our friends and partners in the United States."

MORE National ARTICLES

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August
Home sales in Greater Vancouver fell 17.1 per cent in August from the same period last year, according to the latest statistics. Greater Vancouver Realtors says there were a total of 19-hundred-and-four homes sold in the region last month, down from almost 23-hundred last year.

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief
Chief Constable Adam Palmer says the suspect, a 34-year-old White Rock man, appears to be "very troubled" and police are looking into whether mental health was a factor in this morning's "horrific" attacks. He says the man, who had a history of assaulting police and social workers, was tracked down with the help of a drone and arrested at Habitat Island, near the Olympic Village.

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events
Parkland Corp. has released a review into an unplanned shutdown of its Burnaby, B.C., refinery in January that blanketed parts of Metro Vancouver with a foul stench. The review released last week says unusually cold weather triggered a series of events leading to the release of a noxious odour that generated more than 100 complaints from residents.

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events

Man sentenced in child pornography

Man sentenced in child pornography
A New Westminster man has been sentenced to 10 months in jail after pleading guilty to possession child pornography. Police say 51-year-old Scott Harrison was originally arrested in April 2020 after officers begun investigating a case of child porn being uploaded onto the Internet.

Man sentenced in child pornography

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks
Vancouver police say a man has been arrested after a pair of "unprovoked stranger attacks" in the city's downtown that left one man dead and severed another victim's hand. Chief Constable Adam Palmer says police believe the early morning attacks near the Queen Elizabeth Theatre were "completely random," and that such incidents "shake our collective sense of comfort and safety."

VPD says one man dead, another's hand cut off, in stranger attacks

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has "ripped up" the supply and confidence deal with the Liberals that helped keep the minority government in power. In a video posted Wednesday afternoon, Singh said he notified Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of the decision. 

'The deal is done:' NDP Leader pulls out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals