Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 05:23 PM
  • Dozens of Canadian firefighters head to California to help in fire fight

More than 60 Canadian front-line firefighters are on their way to the Los Angeles area as part of international efforts to fight the raging wildfires that have claimed lives and destroyed thousands homes. 

A statement from the B.C. Ministry of Forests says a team of 22 crew members and one agency representative left for Los Angeles on Monday and are in addition to a dozen technical specialists who arrived in Los Angeles on the weekend. 

The statement says the technical staff, who specialize in advanced planning, logistics, aviation, and fire weather, are expected to be in the United States for at least two weeks.

The Alberta government says 40 wildland firefighters and two agency representatives also left Monday for California.

Alberta Forestry Minister Todd Loewen says firefighters are expected to be on the ground within the next few days and will stay for at least two weeks.

As of Monday morning at least 24 people had died after being caught in the wildfires around Los Angeles, which have burned more than 160-square kilometres in less than a week.

Most of the damage has been caused by two fires — the Palisades Fire and the Eaton Fire. Both are considered to be less than 30 per cent contained as of Monday. 

About 50,000 people are under evacuation orders, and as of Monday, more than a dozen people were considered missing.

Loewen says additional resources like water bombers, night-vision helicopters and more firefighters could be deployed if requested.

"Good neighbours are always there for each other," he says, adding that Alberta is ready to return the favour after 115 firefighters from California came to help during the province's record-breaking 2023 wildfire season.

"In 2023, California firefighters bravely supported Alberta in a time of great need," he told reporters. 

"Now Alberta is answering the call and stepping up to support our friends and partners in the United States."

MORE National ARTICLES

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP
RCMP in Coquitlam say an injured bear had to be put down after officers discovered that residents had been feeding it. They say police and the BC Conservation Officer Service went to a neighbourhood in Coquitlam on Wednesday and found an injured bear surrounded by a large crowd. 

Injured B.C. bear put down after being fed watermelon: RCMP

Ottawa still mulling over bonus for CEO of CBC, but won't make decision public

Ottawa still mulling over bonus for CEO of CBC, but won't make decision public
The Liberal government said it has not yet made a decision on whether it will grant a bonus for the head of CBC after the public broadcaster eliminated hundreds of jobs. But because of the Privacy Act, it will likely be up to CEO Catherine Tait to publicly disclose if she does receive one, as she has done in past for the 2021-22 fiscal year at a past Canadian Heritage committee. 

Ottawa still mulling over bonus for CEO of CBC, but won't make decision public

Coquitlam RCMP seize 1.5kgs of drugs

Coquitlam RCMP seize 1.5kgs of drugs
RCMP in Coquitlam say a report of a suspicious vehicle led to the seizure of 1.5 kilograms of suspected fentanyl as well as heroin and methamphetamine. Police say officers found the vehicle in an underground parking lot of an apartment building in the area of North Road and Smith Street.

Coquitlam RCMP seize 1.5kgs of drugs

Machete assault in Williams Lake

Machete assault in Williams Lake
Mounties in Williams Lake say they're investigating a break-in and assault that allegedly involved three men carrying machetes. Police say officers were called to a home overnight Thursday, and one person was visibly injured when the residents came outside.

Machete assault in Williams Lake

'Welcome back': Jasper residents return to homes following devastating wildfire

'Welcome back': Jasper residents return to homes following devastating wildfire
Residents came in a sporadic line of cars, trucks and recreational vehicles. One pickup had a refrigerator in its bed. They moved along the main highway through Jasper National Park to the point where it branches off to the east side of the town.

'Welcome back': Jasper residents return to homes following devastating wildfire

Jacob Hoggard now behind bars after appeal dismissed, lawyer says

Jacob Hoggard now behind bars after appeal dismissed, lawyer says
Jacob Hoggard's lawyers say the former Hedley frontman is now serving his sentence after Ontario's top court dismissed his appeal of his sexual assault conviction. The musician's legal team says he surrendered into custody before the ruling was delivered today.

Jacob Hoggard now behind bars after appeal dismissed, lawyer says