Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Eby 'deeply disturbed' by CSIS briefing on Nijjar killing in Surrey, B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Sep, 2023 05:12 PM
  • Eby 'deeply disturbed' by CSIS briefing on Nijjar killing in Surrey, B.C.

British Columbia Premier David Eby says he's received a briefing from Canada's spy agency about the "assassination" of Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar and he's "deeply disturbed" by what he was told.

He says he's calling on the federal government to share all information related to ongoing foreign interference and "transnational organized crime threats."

Monday's briefing came after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told Parliament there was "credible" evidence linking the government of India to the June killing at a Sikh temple in Surrey, B.C.

Eby says Canadians must be safe from foreign government interference, including the threat of violence and murder.

He says he needs more information from the federal government so the province can better protect people at risk.

Nijjar was shot dead as he sat in his pickup truck in the parking lot of the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdawra on June 18, in what police say was a targeted attack involving two gunmen and a getaway driver.

"I join with those in the Sikh and Punjabi community, and the broader province, demanding justice and answers," Eby says in a statement. 

Investigators said in June they had not linked the shooting to foreign interference and there were no reasons to believe the Sikh community in Canada was at risk.

Nijjar was organizing an unofficial referendum in India for an independent Sikh state at the time of this death.

Timeline of events surrounding killing of B.C. temple leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced in Parliament Monday that there is "credible" intelligence linking agents of the Indian government to the shooting death of a Sikh temple leader in Surrey, B.C. Hardeep Singh Nijjar was the president of the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara and a leader in the Sikh independence movement in Canada.

---

July 22, 2022: Indian authorities announce a cash reward for information leading to Nijjar's arrest, accusing him of involvement in an alleged attack on a Hindu priest in India.

June 18: Nijjar is shot dead in a vehicle in the parking lot of the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara, sparking a large protest outside the temple. 

June 19: A close associate of Nijjar's says the temple leader had been warned by Canadian intelligence officials about possibly being targeted before the shooting.

June 21: Police say they are searching for two suspects who may have escaped the scene on foot through a nearby park, where they met a getaway vehicle. 

June 24: Protesters gather outside Vancouver's Indian consulate, shouting slogans advocating for an independent Sikh state in India.

June 25: Nijjar's funeral is held at the gurdwara, reportedly attended by thousands.

July 4: Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says she is concerned about the safety of India's diplomats in Canada after protest posters accusing Indian officials of being linked to Nijjar's death are circulated in the community.

Aug. 16: Homicide investigators say they are seeking a third suspect in the case who may have been the driver of a getaway car.

Sept. 3: The Surrey School District cancels the rental of a local school for the Sikh referendum and organizers threaten legal action.

Sept. 10: A referendum vote is held at the Surrey gurdwara where Nijjar was killed, and organizers say the large turnout led to the scheduling of a second vote on Oct. 29 for those who could not vote.

Sept. 18: Trudeau addresses the House of Commons saying the allegations of Indian involvement in Nijjar's killing is "credible," and Joly says Canada is ordering one diplomat to leave. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child
A statement from Vancouver police says the three-year-old and his mother were found near Calgary early Tuesday. Police say the boy is now receiving care and his mother has been arrested.

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser
A B.C. Supreme Court jury convicted Aydin Coban last month of extortion, harassment, communication with a young person to commit a sexual offence and possession and distribution of child pornography.

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect
At approximately 3:54 pm this afternoon, Surrey RCMP received a report of a structure fire in the 14800 block of 75a avenue. Upon arrival, police found the residence fully engulfed, and firefighters were hard at work trying to contain the fire. Police and fire crews are on scene. It is expected that traffic in the area will be disrupted for some time.

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital
When police arrived they confirmed the man, a 51 year old Maple Ridge resident, was suffering from gunshot wounds. The man was transported to hospital with serious injuries. The house remains secured by police while they execute a search warrant.  

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program
The government plans to offer cheques of up to $650 to qualifying low- and middle-income families with children under the age of 12 to help pay for their dental needs. Qualifying families will have to attest that they don't have private insurance, that they have out-of-pocket dental expenses and that they will keep their receipts.

Expert flags potential for dental-care clawbacks as result of federal program

Arrests after violent end to Vancouver concert

Arrests after violent end to Vancouver concert
Police say fights broke out inside and outside the PNE Amphitheatre following the sudden cancellation of the headline act in the final hours of the two-day BreakOut Festival. The police statement says hostile concertgoers also caused significant property damage to the amphitheatre, other PNE grounds and the surrounding neighbourhood before order was restored.

Arrests after violent end to Vancouver concert