Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Eby 'deeply disturbed' by CSIS briefing on Nijjar killing in Surrey, B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Sep, 2023 05:12 PM
  • Eby 'deeply disturbed' by CSIS briefing on Nijjar killing in Surrey, B.C.

British Columbia Premier David Eby says he's received a briefing from Canada's spy agency about the "assassination" of Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar and he's "deeply disturbed" by what he was told.

He says he's calling on the federal government to share all information related to ongoing foreign interference and "transnational organized crime threats."

Monday's briefing came after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told Parliament there was "credible" evidence linking the government of India to the June killing at a Sikh temple in Surrey, B.C.

Eby says Canadians must be safe from foreign government interference, including the threat of violence and murder.

He says he needs more information from the federal government so the province can better protect people at risk.

Nijjar was shot dead as he sat in his pickup truck in the parking lot of the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdawra on June 18, in what police say was a targeted attack involving two gunmen and a getaway driver.

"I join with those in the Sikh and Punjabi community, and the broader province, demanding justice and answers," Eby says in a statement. 

Investigators said in June they had not linked the shooting to foreign interference and there were no reasons to believe the Sikh community in Canada was at risk.

Nijjar was organizing an unofficial referendum in India for an independent Sikh state at the time of this death.

Timeline of events surrounding killing of B.C. temple leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced in Parliament Monday that there is "credible" intelligence linking agents of the Indian government to the shooting death of a Sikh temple leader in Surrey, B.C. Hardeep Singh Nijjar was the president of the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara and a leader in the Sikh independence movement in Canada.

---

July 22, 2022: Indian authorities announce a cash reward for information leading to Nijjar's arrest, accusing him of involvement in an alleged attack on a Hindu priest in India.

June 18: Nijjar is shot dead in a vehicle in the parking lot of the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara, sparking a large protest outside the temple. 

June 19: A close associate of Nijjar's says the temple leader had been warned by Canadian intelligence officials about possibly being targeted before the shooting.

June 21: Police say they are searching for two suspects who may have escaped the scene on foot through a nearby park, where they met a getaway vehicle. 

June 24: Protesters gather outside Vancouver's Indian consulate, shouting slogans advocating for an independent Sikh state in India.

June 25: Nijjar's funeral is held at the gurdwara, reportedly attended by thousands.

July 4: Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says she is concerned about the safety of India's diplomats in Canada after protest posters accusing Indian officials of being linked to Nijjar's death are circulated in the community.

Aug. 16: Homicide investigators say they are seeking a third suspect in the case who may have been the driver of a getaway car.

Sept. 3: The Surrey School District cancels the rental of a local school for the Sikh referendum and organizers threaten legal action.

Sept. 10: A referendum vote is held at the Surrey gurdwara where Nijjar was killed, and organizers say the large turnout led to the scheduling of a second vote on Oct. 29 for those who could not vote.

Sept. 18: Trudeau addresses the House of Commons saying the allegations of Indian involvement in Nijjar's killing is "credible," and Joly says Canada is ordering one diplomat to leave. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Hiring spree helping with backlogs: ministers

Hiring spree helping with backlogs: ministers
Yet while cabinet ministers say the additional hires have started to make a difference, they acknowledge that far more work is needed when it comes to providing Canadians with the services they deserve. The comments came during an update on the work of the government's special task force to help tackle major delays with immigration applications and passport processing.

Hiring spree helping with backlogs: ministers

Vehicle ignites into flames on Highway 17, Highway 17 WestBound closure in effect

Vehicle ignites into flames on Highway 17, Highway 17 WestBound closure in effect
A semi truck was travelling westbound on Highway 17 when the driver smelled smoke.  After the driver pulled over, the vehicle ignited into flames.  The subsequent fire resulted in the vehicle sustaining major damage.

Vehicle ignites into flames on Highway 17, Highway 17 WestBound closure in effect

Pedestrian in hospital after a serious collision in Newton on Sunday

Pedestrian in hospital after a serious collision in Newton on Sunday
On August 28th, just before 7:30 p.m., Surrey RCMP received a reported that a pedestrian, who had been crossing the street in a marked crosswalk, had been struck by a vehicle in the 7500-block of 140 Street. 

Pedestrian in hospital after a serious collision in Newton on Sunday

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home
IHIT has identified the victim as Troy Michael Regnier, in hopes of furthering their investigation. Surrey RCMP arrested three suspects at the scene, who were believed to have been known to the victim, though at this time no charges have been laid.

Man dies hours after shooting in Surrey home

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan
The guidelines released Thursday encourage pupils and others to get vaccinated and to stay home when they are sick, while masking remains optional and is described as being a "personal or family choice."  

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday
RCMP Const. Mike Della-Paolera says police responded to a report that the boy was unconscious and not breathing and arrived at a home as a family member was performing CPR on the child on the hood of his vehicle. Della-Paolera says police were told the child had ingested an unknown substance.

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday