Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Eby deplores 'most hateful' speech praising Hamas attack, as UBC protest camp begins

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Apr, 2024 03:21 PM
  • Eby deplores 'most hateful' speech praising Hamas attack, as UBC protest camp begins

Charlotte Kates of the Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network told the rally outside the Vancouver Art Gallery on Friday that the attack was "heroic and brave." 

Eby said the comments about the attack, that killed about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, were "the most hateful" he could imagine.

"Celebrating the murder, the rape of innocent people attending a music festival, it's awful," Eby said at an unrelated news conference on Monday. 

"It's reprehensible, and it shouldn't take place in British Columbia. There is clearly an element of some individuals using an international tragedy to promote hate that's completely unacceptable."

Kates and Samidoun did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Eby also remarked on an encampment by pro-Palestinian protesters that began at the University of B.C. on Monday. 

Similar camps have appeared on campuses across the United States, as well as at McGill University in Montreal and the University of Ottawa.

At McGill, activists have set up dozens of tents. The university said Monday morning it had seen video evidence of some protesters using "unequivocally antisemitic language and intimidating behaviour" during the protest.

The UBC camp included about 20 tents on MacInnes Field by noon Monday.

Eby said a university campus, while a protected space for free speech, should foster a safe space for students of all backgrounds, especially for Jewish students during a time they feel "particularly alone on campuses and need additional support to feel safe."

"I have no reason to doubt that the leadership, both student and administration, at UBC will find that balance between ensuring students are safe and making sure that atmosphere of free exchange of ideas can continue to take place on campus."

In a series of messages posted on social media platform X, UBC protest organizers have asked supporters to bring tents and sandbags, as well as food, water, first aid and generators.

Naisha Khan, a spokeswoman for the protest camp, said tents started going up at 5 a.m. Monday, with attendees from UBC, Simon Fraser University and Emily Carr University of Art and Design.

Khan said they wouldn't leave until UBC supported the Palestinian right to "resistance," and the right of return to what is now Israel.

In a written response, UBC spokesman Matthew Ramsey said the school is monitoring the situation and keeping in contact with the RCMP.

Protests must "be taken with respect for others and within the boundaries of university policy and the law," he said.

"We also remind everyone that hate and intolerance have no place at UBC," Ramsey said. "The university must be a place of reasoned debate where conflicting views can peacefully coexist."

Before Eby, the Vancouver Art Gallery rally had drawn condemnation from Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim, who called it a "celebration of terrorism and antisemitism."

Sim said in a post on X on Sunday that people who "spew this vile hatred" were not welcome in the city.

Liberal member for Vancouver Granville Taleeb Noormohamed said on X that "glorifying Oct. 7 is unacceptable" and "does nothing to promote peace," while B.C. Opposition Leader Kevin Falcon called the speech a "celebration of the heinous murder of Jews."

MORE National ARTICLES

First group of Canadians leave West Bank for Jordan as those in Gaza brace for worst

First group of Canadians leave West Bank for Jordan as those in Gaza brace for worst
Joly made the announcement this morning on X, the platform previously known as Twitter, thanking the Global Affairs staff who she says worked around the clock to make it happen. The federal government says 21 Canadians and foreign nationals took a bus out of the West Bank, a Palestinian territory that Israel has occupied since 1967, and where it has established settlements.

First group of Canadians leave West Bank for Jordan as those in Gaza brace for worst

B.C. to bring in new rules on short-term rentals to create more housing

B.C. to bring in new rules on short-term rentals to create more housing
Premier David Eby says the number of short-term rentals has ballooned in recent years and the government is taking action to reduce “profit-driven mini-hotel operators” by bringing in new enforcement tools. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon introduced the bill in the legislature today, saying there has been "an explosion" of short-term rental units and this legislation will target areas with high housing needs.

B.C. to bring in new rules on short-term rentals to create more housing

Man charged with murdering B.C. woman who went missing in 2022

Man charged with murdering B.C. woman who went missing in 2022
Police say that after an almost yearlong investigation, homicide investigators have determined that 57-year-old Jodine Millar was murdered. Millar was reported missing on Nov. 28, the same day police found her empty car after a crash on Highway 1.

Man charged with murdering B.C. woman who went missing in 2022

Suspicious fire guts B.C. elementary school, plans underway for students and teachers

Suspicious fire guts B.C. elementary school, plans underway for students and teachers
Coquitlam School District 43 says in a statement to families on its website that plans are in the works to support continued learning for the school community at Hazel Trembath Elementary School in Port Coquitlam. Coquitlam RCMP say they are investigating a suspicious fire at the school, which was fully engulfed when first responders arrived at the scene early Saturday.

Suspicious fire guts B.C. elementary school, plans underway for students and teachers

New Westminster's Balvir Singh charged with stabbing

New Westminster's Balvir Singh charged with stabbing
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 57-year-old Balvir Singh of New Westminster was charged Saturday with second-degree murder. I-H-I-T is identifying the victim as 46-year old Kulwant Kaur of New Westminster.

New Westminster's Balvir Singh charged with stabbing

Surrey to ask court to review provincial order to stay with municipal police

Surrey to ask court to review provincial order to stay with municipal police
The city issued a statement on Friday saying it was asking for a judicial review by the Supreme Court of British Columbia, challenging the province's "lawful authority" to impose its choice of police force without providing the funding to support such a move.

Surrey to ask court to review provincial order to stay with municipal police