Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Eby introduces new-look B.C. NDP cabinet in slim, one-seat majority government

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2024 10:59 AM
  • Eby introduces new-look B.C. NDP cabinet in slim, one-seat majority government

Premier David Eby will introduce his new cabinet in British Columbia today after last month's tight election win that gave his New Democrats a slim, one-seat majority.

Eby's NDP government holds 47 seats in the 93-seat legislature.

His cabinet is expected to include veteran New Democrats, but with up to a dozen vacancies, there could be several newcomers.

Eby said at last week's swearing-in ceremony that his cabinetand government will be tasked with focusing on kitchen-table issues of concern to people in B.C., including affordability, health care, public safety, housing and the economy.

Former B.C. Liberal cabinet minister Mike Bernier, who ran unsuccessfully as an Independent last month in his Dawson Creek-area riding, says Eby must find ways to bring rural representation into the cabinet even though the majority of his members are from Metro Vancouver or Vancouver Island.

B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad says Eby has been invisible when it comes to rural B.C., and he and his caucus of 44 members are looking forward to holding the government to account on numerous issues. 

MORE National ARTICLES

4 youth assaulted with bear mace

4 youth assaulted with bear mace
West Shore Mounties say a 32-year-old man is facing eight charges after a group of four youth were assaulted with bear mace last week. They say officers responded to a report of an assault on Wednesday around on the Galloping Goose Trail.

4 youth assaulted with bear mace

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight
One person is dead and another has been airlifted to hospital following a crash on Highway 1 in British Columbia. Sgt. Joe Leeson with Langley RCMP says officers were called around 9:40 p.m. Friday night after a tow truck hit the rear of a tractor-trailer unit in the eastbound lanes of Highway 1.  Leeson says the tow-truck driver died at the scene.

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries
The company operating British Columbia's ferries says divers have recovered a propeller that fell off one of its vessels and triggered an oil spill earlier this week, but notes it will take six months to complete the needed repairs. A statement from BC Ferries says the propeller from the 60 year-old Queen of New Westminster -- which weighs about 4,500 kilograms -- was pulled from the seabed Saturday morning after two days of recovery work.

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot
RCMP in British Columbia say they've found the family of a boy who was found barefoot and wandering alone in Whistler over the weekend. Mounties in Whistler say they responded to a report of an unaccompanied child, who they believed was about 12-years old, on Saturday night at Dairy Queen on Main Street.

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall
The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday. Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna
A 24-year-old woman faces a charge for what RCMP in Kelowna say was a home invasion where another woman was repeatedly stabbed. Officers responded to the call on Saturday and found a 28-year-old woman with life-threatening injuries after she had been stabbed several times. 

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna