Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Mar, 2025 05:41 PM
  • Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity

He says similar planning happens in the event of natural disasters and now it's due to a "man-made disaster" created by U.S. President Donald Trump, who imposed sweeping tariffs on Canadian imports on Tuesday.

Eby says uncertainty and potential instability coming from south of the border mean the province needs backup plans so B.C. will never again be "so dependent on the United States." 

The premier said B.C. had been forced into contingency planning after Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to cut off electricity it provides three border states, resulting in concerns the U.S. could respond in kind.

Eby says the U.S. federal agency through which B.C. buys and sometimes sells electricity has recently been "seriously" weakened by layoffs orchestrated by Elon Musk's Department of Government Efficiency, adding to concerns.

The premier later addressed the legislative assembly about the trade war, saying Canadians would keep their "elbows up" and it would be a "grave mistake" to see their politeness as weakness.

Opposition Conservative Leader John Rustad said in his response that the province needed to do everything it could to end the "vulnerability" created by importing 20 to 30 per cent of its electricity from the U.S.

MORE National ARTICLES

Battle to keep historic town wet and safe

Battle to keep historic town wet and safe
The British Columbia gold rush town of Barkerville is drenched, both from overnight rains and sprinklers dousing its timber buildings, some more than 150 years old. It's part of an effort to save the historic park that is one of the Cariboo region's premier tourist attractions from the flames of the Antler Creek wildfire that is burning out of control about three kilometres away, said Stewart Cawood, Barkerville's public programming and media manager.

Battle to keep historic town wet and safe

One in custody in Vancouver stabbing

One in custody in Vancouver stabbing
One person is in custody after three stabbings in Vancouver, while the deaths of two women in the city are also being investigated. Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim is calling the events "deeply unsettling."

One in custody in Vancouver stabbing

Advocate warns of impending 'crisis' in B.C. child welfare staffing

Advocate warns of impending 'crisis' in B.C. child welfare staffing
British Columbia's child welfare system is either in a state of crisis or close to it with understaffing and unmanageable workloads, the province's representative for children said. A report released by Jennifer Charlesworth Tuesday said the environment for social workers at the Ministry of Children and Family Development is unhealthy for staff, characterized by undue stress, burnout and fear, and there's no time for the government to wait to address the "critical circumstances." 

Advocate warns of impending 'crisis' in B.C. child welfare staffing

Feds were warned about setting 'significant precedent' with Ukraine visa program

Feds were warned about setting 'significant precedent' with Ukraine visa program
Federal immigration officials warned the government it risked undermining the temporary immigration system with the design of the emergency visa program for war-displaced Ukrainians, newly released court documents show.  Immigration Department staff raised the concern in a memo to Sean Fraser, immigration minister at the time, shortly after the program was announced.

Feds were warned about setting 'significant precedent' with Ukraine visa program

Edmonton man found guilty on terrorism charge in United Kingdom

Edmonton man found guilty on terrorism charge in United Kingdom
An Edmonton man has been convicted in the United Kingdom of being a member of a proscribed terrorist group.  RCMP said Khaled Hussein, a Canadian citizen, was convicted Tuesday of being involved in al-Muhajiroun, an organization linked to killings and attacks in London. 

Edmonton man found guilty on terrorism charge in United Kingdom

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel
A team has been selected to design a new eight-lane tunnel to replace the aging George Massey Tunnel under the Fraser River in Metro Vancouver, with British Columbia's transportation minister calling it a "huge step" for the project. Rob Fleming says the selection of the preferred proponent for the tunnel project, Cross Fraser Partnership, means design plans can now be finalized.

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel