Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Mar, 2025 05:41 PM
  • Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity

He says similar planning happens in the event of natural disasters and now it's due to a "man-made disaster" created by U.S. President Donald Trump, who imposed sweeping tariffs on Canadian imports on Tuesday.

Eby says uncertainty and potential instability coming from south of the border mean the province needs backup plans so B.C. will never again be "so dependent on the United States." 

The premier said B.C. had been forced into contingency planning after Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to cut off electricity it provides three border states, resulting in concerns the U.S. could respond in kind.

Eby says the U.S. federal agency through which B.C. buys and sometimes sells electricity has recently been "seriously" weakened by layoffs orchestrated by Elon Musk's Department of Government Efficiency, adding to concerns.

The premier later addressed the legislative assembly about the trade war, saying Canadians would keep their "elbows up" and it would be a "grave mistake" to see their politeness as weakness.

Opposition Conservative Leader John Rustad said in his response that the province needed to do everything it could to end the "vulnerability" created by importing 20 to 30 per cent of its electricity from the U.S.

MORE National ARTICLES

Cabinet to meet for first time since byelection loss amid speculation over shuffle

Cabinet to meet for first time since byelection loss amid speculation over shuffle
The Prime Minister's Office says the Liberal cabinet will have a brief meeting this Friday. A separate source with knowledge of the meeting who wasn't authorized to speak publicly said it was scheduled to be 20 minutes long.

Cabinet to meet for first time since byelection loss amid speculation over shuffle

Heat warnings spread in B.C. as records tumble in second heat wave for July

Heat warnings spread in B.C. as records tumble in second heat wave for July
Heat warnings have expanded across a broad swath of British Columbia, a day after temperatures reached into the low 40s in the Interior and daily heat records tumbled. Twenty-five heat alerts are in place, up from 21 Tuesday, stretching from Whistler in the southwest to the north and central coasts and deep into the Interior.

Heat warnings spread in B.C. as records tumble in second heat wave for July

B.C. pledges support for court challenge over equalization, mulls its own claim

B.C. pledges support for court challenge over equalization, mulls its own claim
David Eby says there are differences in the legal arguments B.C. would make, but the two provinces are united in the goal of reversing what he described as "perverse outcomes" from the equalization program for B.C. and Newfoundland taxpayers.

B.C. pledges support for court challenge over equalization, mulls its own claim

U.S. eases border rules for dogs from Canada as Liberals try to secure exemption

U.S. eases border rules for dogs from Canada as Liberals try to secure exemption
Health Minister Mark Holland says he's trying to convince U.S. authorities that Canadian dogs should be allowed to cross the border without restrictions.  The Centers for Disease Control is imposing new rules on Aug. 1 aimed at stopping the spread of rabies. 

U.S. eases border rules for dogs from Canada as Liberals try to secure exemption

Trudeau outlines details of $30B, 10-year fund for public transit

Trudeau outlines details of $30B, 10-year fund for public transit
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says applications are now open for a national transit fund that will include money for existing transit systems so they can expand, improve and modernize. The $30-billion, 10-year Canada Public Transit Fund has been in the works for months and was in the recent federal budget.

Trudeau outlines details of $30B, 10-year fund for public transit

Man dies in Abbotsford prison

Man dies in Abbotsford prison
A man serving a second-degree murder sentence has died in an Abbotsford prison. Correctional Service of Canada says in a statement that Eugene Raymond Benoit died while in custody at the Abbotsford Regional Treatment Centre.

Man dies in Abbotsford prison