Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Emergency alert test comes as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 03:36 PM
  • Emergency alert test comes as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

A test for Canada's emergency alert system took place Wednesday just as British Columbia was cleaning up from a so-called "bomb cyclone" weather system that cut power and battered parts of the coast with hurricane-force winds.

The national alert system is typically tested twice a year, with the latest alarm sounding in B.C. at 1:55 p.m. Pacific time, in addition to other provinces.

The test involves an alert tone and message broadcast to radio, television and compatible mobile devices.

While the message says, "this is ONLY a TEST," it came as nearly 75,000 homes and businesses were still without power, mostly on Vancouver Island, and as weather warnings remained in effect for parts of B.C.'s south coast. 

A statement from the Ministry of Emergency Management says the government recognized that many parts of the province were still under wind and other weather warnings, but it's important to ensure its systems are tested regularly.

It says the testing schedule is established by Pelmorex Corp., a weather information company, in consultation with provinces and territories. 

"These regular tests help make sure that people in B.C. are aware and know what to expect in the event of an actual emergency alert, and provide an opportunity to address any issues with the system before there’s a real emergency," it says.

Winds exceeded 100 km/h in multiple areas along B.C.'s coast late Tuesday, with gusts recorded on the remote Sartine Island off the northern tip of Vancouver Island at up to 170 km/h, equivalent to a Category 2 hurricane.

Wind warnings from Environment Canada remain active for western Vancouver Island, where gusts of up to 110 km/h were expected to ease later Wednesday. 

Stretches of several highways on Vancouver Island were closed because of downed power lines, fallen trees and debris, while BC Ferries cancelled several sailings on its major routes Wednesday due to safety concerns stemming from high winds.

MORE National ARTICLES

COVID-19 down, influenza and RSV up in B.C, says CDC

COVID-19 down, influenza and RSV up in B.C, says CDC
New data suggest that COVID-19 activity in British Columbia is trending downward, while influenza and RSV are on the rise. A weekly update provided Thursday by the BC Centre for Disease Control says COVID-19 cases, new hospitalizations and deaths are all declining from a peak in the first week of October.  

COVID-19 down, influenza and RSV up in B.C, says CDC

Leak of B.C. police document on gang murders prompts investigations, warning

Leak of B.C. police document on gang murders prompts investigations, warning
British Columbia's gang squad and the Abbotsford Police Department say a sensitive law enforcement intelligence document was posted on an online media site. A statement from police and the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says the document was part of a response to the ongoing gang war that has killed numerous people in the last several years.

Leak of B.C. police document on gang murders prompts investigations, warning

Canada's long-standing support of Israel at the UN faces pressure in Hamas war

Canada's long-standing support of Israel at the UN faces pressure in Hamas war
Canada's long-standing support of Israel in votes at the United Nations has come under renewed scrutiny during the latest Israel-Hamas war.  On Oct. 27, Canada abstained on a motion calling for a sustained humanitarian truce in the Gaza Strip, and last week, it joined Israel and the U.S. in voting down a motion about Israeli settlements in the West Bank.

Canada's long-standing support of Israel at the UN faces pressure in Hamas war

3 priority transit corridors selected by the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation

3 priority transit corridors selected by the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation
Three priority transit corridors have been selected by the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation. Metro Vancouver’s new bus rapid transit routes will be along King George Boulevard from Surrey Centre to White Rock, from Langley Centre to Haney Place and from Metrotown to the Northshore.  

3 priority transit corridors selected by the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation

B.C. announces minimum wage and other labour protections for app-based gig workers

B.C. announces minimum wage and other labour protections for app-based gig workers
The B.C. government is introducing new protections for ride-hailing and food delivery app workers including a minimum wage, compensation for expenses and other standards. A minimum hourly wage of $20.10 — which is $3.35 more than the current general minimum wage — would apply for a gig worker's "engaged time," beginning when they accept an assignment to the time of completion.

B.C. announces minimum wage and other labour protections for app-based gig workers

B.C. replaces Surrey Police Board with administrator over troubled transition

B.C. replaces Surrey Police Board with administrator over troubled transition
Mike Farnworth, minister of public safety and solicitor general, says all members of the Surrey Police Board have been suspended and he's appointed former Abbotsford chief constable Mike Serr to take over all their duties. Farnworth says he acted because of a “lack of progress” from the City of Surrey in the transition to the Surrey Police Service. 

B.C. replaces Surrey Police Board with administrator over troubled transition