Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Emergency alert test comes as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 03:36 PM
  • Emergency alert test comes as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

A test for Canada's emergency alert system took place Wednesday just as British Columbia was cleaning up from a so-called "bomb cyclone" weather system that cut power and battered parts of the coast with hurricane-force winds.

The national alert system is typically tested twice a year, with the latest alarm sounding in B.C. at 1:55 p.m. Pacific time, in addition to other provinces.

The test involves an alert tone and message broadcast to radio, television and compatible mobile devices.

While the message says, "this is ONLY a TEST," it came as nearly 75,000 homes and businesses were still without power, mostly on Vancouver Island, and as weather warnings remained in effect for parts of B.C.'s south coast. 

A statement from the Ministry of Emergency Management says the government recognized that many parts of the province were still under wind and other weather warnings, but it's important to ensure its systems are tested regularly.

It says the testing schedule is established by Pelmorex Corp., a weather information company, in consultation with provinces and territories. 

"These regular tests help make sure that people in B.C. are aware and know what to expect in the event of an actual emergency alert, and provide an opportunity to address any issues with the system before there’s a real emergency," it says.

Winds exceeded 100 km/h in multiple areas along B.C.'s coast late Tuesday, with gusts recorded on the remote Sartine Island off the northern tip of Vancouver Island at up to 170 km/h, equivalent to a Category 2 hurricane.

Wind warnings from Environment Canada remain active for western Vancouver Island, where gusts of up to 110 km/h were expected to ease later Wednesday. 

Stretches of several highways on Vancouver Island were closed because of downed power lines, fallen trees and debris, while BC Ferries cancelled several sailings on its major routes Wednesday due to safety concerns stemming from high winds.

MORE National ARTICLES

No Canadians on Rafah crossing list as Israel raids Gaza hospital

No Canadians on Rafah crossing list as Israel raids Gaza hospital
No more Canadians have been approved to leave the Gaza Strip on Wednesday via the Rafah border crossing into Egypt, as hundreds of people connected to Canada continue to wait for help to leave. A total of 356 Canadians, permanent residents and family members have been able to leave the besieged Palestinian territory so far.

No Canadians on Rafah crossing list as Israel raids Gaza hospital

100 Vancouver police sent to protect Trudeau after protest surrounds restaurant

100 Vancouver police sent to protect Trudeau after protest surrounds restaurant
Police say one man was arrested for assaulting an officer, and another for obstruction, while social media videos showed protesters waving Palestinian flags, shouting slogans and jeering Trudeau outside the restaurant in Vancouver's Chinatown.

100 Vancouver police sent to protect Trudeau after protest surrounds restaurant

Burnaby RCMP officer assaulted

Burnaby RCMP officer assaulted
Burnaby R-C-M-P say multiple charges are being considered after a suspect reportedly assaulted a police officer and tried to take his firearm. The Mounties say they received several reports around noon yesterday of a man attacking people, walking into traffic and attempting to open doors of parked and moving vehicles near Kingsway and McKay Avenue.

Burnaby RCMP officer assaulted

Slow home sales in BC

Slow home sales in BC
The B-C Real Estate Association's chief economist says high borrowing costs and stricter stress tests for buyers have led to an expected slowing of home sales in the province. However, Brendon Ogmundson says inventory remains low, balancing the market at what he says is a very low level of activity.

Slow home sales in BC

B.C. man ordered to pay $450,000 over 2019 wildfire triggered by debris burn

B.C. man ordered to pay $450,000 over 2019 wildfire triggered by debris burn
In an appeal decision released last week, the commission says Clarke Matthiesen tried to blame an arsonist for the blaze that investigators say started on his property west of Quesnel, B.C., in the province's interior. 

B.C. man ordered to pay $450,000 over 2019 wildfire triggered by debris burn

Trudeau, Eby announce $1-billion battery plant in Maple Ridge

Trudeau, Eby announce $1-billion battery plant in Maple Ridge
A lithium-ion battery cell production plant costing more than $1 billion will be built in Maple Ridge. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Premier David Eby jointly announced Tuesday that the new E-One Moli facility will bolster Canada's role as a global leader in clean technology.  

Trudeau, Eby announce $1-billion battery plant in Maple Ridge