Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Emergency alert test comes as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 03:36 PM
  • Emergency alert test comes as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

A test for Canada's emergency alert system took place Wednesday just as British Columbia was cleaning up from a so-called "bomb cyclone" weather system that cut power and battered parts of the coast with hurricane-force winds.

The national alert system is typically tested twice a year, with the latest alarm sounding in B.C. at 1:55 p.m. Pacific time, in addition to other provinces.

The test involves an alert tone and message broadcast to radio, television and compatible mobile devices.

While the message says, "this is ONLY a TEST," it came as nearly 75,000 homes and businesses were still without power, mostly on Vancouver Island, and as weather warnings remained in effect for parts of B.C.'s south coast. 

A statement from the Ministry of Emergency Management says the government recognized that many parts of the province were still under wind and other weather warnings, but it's important to ensure its systems are tested regularly.

It says the testing schedule is established by Pelmorex Corp., a weather information company, in consultation with provinces and territories. 

"These regular tests help make sure that people in B.C. are aware and know what to expect in the event of an actual emergency alert, and provide an opportunity to address any issues with the system before there’s a real emergency," it says.

Winds exceeded 100 km/h in multiple areas along B.C.'s coast late Tuesday, with gusts recorded on the remote Sartine Island off the northern tip of Vancouver Island at up to 170 km/h, equivalent to a Category 2 hurricane.

Wind warnings from Environment Canada remain active for western Vancouver Island, where gusts of up to 110 km/h were expected to ease later Wednesday. 

Stretches of several highways on Vancouver Island were closed because of downed power lines, fallen trees and debris, while BC Ferries cancelled several sailings on its major routes Wednesday due to safety concerns stemming from high winds.

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP looking for more info in suspicious fire

RCMP looking for more info in suspicious fire
Coquitlam Mounties are appealing for more information about the suspicious fire that destroyed the Hazel Trembath Elementary school earlier this month. Corporal Alexa Hodgins says investigators have collected 200 hours of surveillance video, conducted hundreds of witness statements and followed up on numerous tips from the community, but police still need more tips to push the investigation forward.

RCMP looking for more info in suspicious fire

Manslaughter conviction for ex drug dealer

Manslaughter conviction for ex drug dealer
A former drug dealer has been sentenced to 18 months in jail for manslaughter in the overdose death of 14-year-old Carson Crimeni in 2019.  The B-C Supreme Court heard that other youth posted video of the boy’s distress on social media before he died. 

Manslaughter conviction for ex drug dealer

Immigration minister announces new rules to curb international student fraud schemes

Immigration minister announces new rules to curb international student fraud schemes
Colleges and universities that issue acceptance letters to international students will have to confirm all of them with the federal immigration department as Canada moves to crack down on fraud. Immigration Minister Marc Miller announced the new rules Friday following an investigation this summer into more than 100 cases involving fake admission letters.

Immigration minister announces new rules to curb international student fraud schemes

Body found at Langley building explosion not a homicide: police

Body found at Langley building explosion not a homicide: police
Investigators have determined that a body found at the scene of an explosion in Langley, B.C., was not murder. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says in a statement that police came to the conclusion along with the BC Coroners Service, although it didn't explain why.

Body found at Langley building explosion not a homicide: police

Truck driver's identity who hit a North Vancouver overpass known

Truck driver's identity who hit a North Vancouver overpass known
The province says investigators now know the identity of the truck driver who hit a North Vancouver overpass last month. It says the driver abandoned their vehicle after the accident.  

Truck driver's identity who hit a North Vancouver overpass known

Man drives vehicle through scene of crash in Coquitlam

Man drives vehicle through scene of crash in Coquitlam
Coquitlam RCMP say a man was arrested for allegedly driving his vehicle through the scene of a fatal collision. Police say a passenger in one of the vehicles involved in the October 19th collision has since died of their injuries and a driver remains in hospital.  

Man drives vehicle through scene of crash in Coquitlam