Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Energy, trade investments 'imperative' in rocky times: Canada Infrastructure Bank CEO

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 12:20 PM
  • Energy, trade investments 'imperative' in rocky times: Canada Infrastructure Bank CEO
 

The head of the Canada Infrastructure Bank says the power and export-enabling projects the Crown corporation backs are more crucial than ever as trade tumult intensifies with the United States. 

“In the face of lots of uncertainty, the one thing you can know is that we're going to need that electricity, energy and trade infrastructure in the future even more," said Ehren Cory.   

“It’s an imperative and it’s been an imperative for a while.”

Cory's comments come against the backdrop of U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to impose sweeping tariffs on his country's neighbours and musings about making Canada the "51st state." A federal election call is also looming in Canada. 

The infrastructure bank, created in 2017 with $35 billion in capital, invests in revenue-generating projects that are deemed to be in the public good, but would have trouble getting off the ground with private-sector money alone. Ottawa sets out broad priorities for the arm's-length agency, and one of its current focus areas is clean power generation, storage and transmission. 

The bank has allocated $10 billion to the clean power sector and expects to invest in some 30 renewable projects over the next three years. Its investments in the clean energy space include hydroelectric, wind, solar and nuclear projects in Ontario, Nova Scotia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia and the three northern territories. Two in Nova Scotia involved loans to Indigenous communities for ownership stakes in energy projects. 

There's long been discussion about a cross-Canada power transmission line, and Cory cited it as an example of the type of project that could help buffer the country during turbulent times. 

The bank is also keen on investments in trade logistics these days, Cory added. 

In January, it announced a $60.7-million loan to help the Metlakatla Development Corp. and the Prince Rupert Port Authority develop an Indigenous-led logistics hub on the northern B.C. coast. Last year it also announced a $150-million loan for a similar hub in Prince Rupert.   

The federal Conservatives and New Democrats have in the past been critical of the slow ramp up of investments, and have promised in previous election campaigns that they would dismantle the infrastructure bank. 

As Canadians once again prepare to go to the polls this year, Cory said whichever party forms government will appreciate the need for infrastructure investment. 

"The good news is infrastructure and investing in infrastructure is the most apolitical, non-partisan issue you can find," he said. 

"There’s not a mayor or a premier or a federal leader who doesn't understand that infrastructure is one of the main ways that governments help build productive economies and the kinds of societies we want to live in."

The investment mandate for the bank has shifted under the Liberals over the years, and it could be that a potential Conservative government sets out different parameters, he said. 

"Just look at the world. Think of something like the North … the incredible opportunity in the North around resources, the need for sovereignty, the need for economic development and growth for northern peoples," he said. 

"I would predict that any government will probably direct us to do even more there than we already are."  

MORE National ARTICLES

Highway improvements coming to B.C. northwest, including better Wi-Fi access

Highway improvements coming to B.C. northwest, including better Wi-Fi access
The B.C. and federal governments are jointly providing $195 million for a series of highway improvements in Tahltan Nation territory in the province's northwest. A statement from B.C.'s Ministry of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation says the funding will enhance road safety, while improving access to services for local communities and for development of critical minerals. 

Highway improvements coming to B.C. northwest, including better Wi-Fi access

Single-use plastic bags banned as next round of B.C. plastic regulations kicks in

Single-use plastic bags banned as next round of B.C. plastic regulations kicks in
Plastic shopping bags and other single-use products are no longer available at British Columbia stores as the government implements the latest step in its plan to phaseout certain plastic items and keep harmful chemicals out of landfills. Businesses may no longer provide single-use plastic shopping bags, and they must charge a minimum of $2 for new reusable bags or 25 cents for new paper bags.

Single-use plastic bags banned as next round of B.C. plastic regulations kicks in

Storms and wind moving in for part of B.C., boosting fire potential: wildfire service

Storms and wind moving in for part of B.C., boosting fire potential: wildfire service
Thunderstorms will be rolling into eastern B.C. by mid-week and winds will pick up, which the BC Wildfire Service says has the potential to increase fire activity in the province. The service says the hot and dry trend that has already led to increased fire activity will continue throughout the southern half of B.C.

Storms and wind moving in for part of B.C., boosting fire potential: wildfire service

Trucker who caused Broncos crash applies to have permanent resident status returned

Trucker who caused Broncos crash applies to have permanent resident status returned
The truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash has applied to have his permanent resident status returned. The Immigration and Refugee Board issued a deportation order in May for Jaskirat Singh Sidhu and his permanent resident status was revoked.

Trucker who caused Broncos crash applies to have permanent resident status returned

One dead in Surrey crash

One dead in Surrey crash
Police in Surrey say a crash early Sunday morning claimed one life and closed a portion of 144th Street.  R-C-M-P say the two-vehicle collision happened just before 5 A-M Sunday at the intersection of 144th and 62nd Avenue. 

One dead in Surrey crash

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges
On May 4 of last year Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a sexual assault.  On July 2nd, 59-year-old Ajastar Singh was charged with sexual assault and sexual interference of a person under the age of 16 years.

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges