Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Energy, trade investments 'imperative' in rocky times: Canada Infrastructure Bank CEO

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 12:20 PM
  • Energy, trade investments 'imperative' in rocky times: Canada Infrastructure Bank CEO
 

The head of the Canada Infrastructure Bank says the power and export-enabling projects the Crown corporation backs are more crucial than ever as trade tumult intensifies with the United States. 

“In the face of lots of uncertainty, the one thing you can know is that we're going to need that electricity, energy and trade infrastructure in the future even more," said Ehren Cory.   

“It’s an imperative and it’s been an imperative for a while.”

Cory's comments come against the backdrop of U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to impose sweeping tariffs on his country's neighbours and musings about making Canada the "51st state." A federal election call is also looming in Canada. 

The infrastructure bank, created in 2017 with $35 billion in capital, invests in revenue-generating projects that are deemed to be in the public good, but would have trouble getting off the ground with private-sector money alone. Ottawa sets out broad priorities for the arm's-length agency, and one of its current focus areas is clean power generation, storage and transmission. 

The bank has allocated $10 billion to the clean power sector and expects to invest in some 30 renewable projects over the next three years. Its investments in the clean energy space include hydroelectric, wind, solar and nuclear projects in Ontario, Nova Scotia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia and the three northern territories. Two in Nova Scotia involved loans to Indigenous communities for ownership stakes in energy projects. 

There's long been discussion about a cross-Canada power transmission line, and Cory cited it as an example of the type of project that could help buffer the country during turbulent times. 

The bank is also keen on investments in trade logistics these days, Cory added. 

In January, it announced a $60.7-million loan to help the Metlakatla Development Corp. and the Prince Rupert Port Authority develop an Indigenous-led logistics hub on the northern B.C. coast. Last year it also announced a $150-million loan for a similar hub in Prince Rupert.   

The federal Conservatives and New Democrats have in the past been critical of the slow ramp up of investments, and have promised in previous election campaigns that they would dismantle the infrastructure bank. 

As Canadians once again prepare to go to the polls this year, Cory said whichever party forms government will appreciate the need for infrastructure investment. 

"The good news is infrastructure and investing in infrastructure is the most apolitical, non-partisan issue you can find," he said. 

"There’s not a mayor or a premier or a federal leader who doesn't understand that infrastructure is one of the main ways that governments help build productive economies and the kinds of societies we want to live in."

The investment mandate for the bank has shifted under the Liberals over the years, and it could be that a potential Conservative government sets out different parameters, he said. 

"Just look at the world. Think of something like the North … the incredible opportunity in the North around resources, the need for sovereignty, the need for economic development and growth for northern peoples," he said. 

"I would predict that any government will probably direct us to do even more there than we already are."  

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.
Canada is preparing retaliatory tariffs in response to U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's threat to levy a 25 per cent import tax on all Canadian goods, and Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to withhold the province's energy, which it exports to five states.

Canada preparing retaliatory tariffs, as Ford threatens to cut off energy to U.S.

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death
Seven Vancouver police officers who were present when Myles Gray was beaten to death in August 2015 will face a public hearing into their conduct, B.C.'s police complaint commissioner says.  A statement issued Wednesday by Commissioner Prabhu Rajan said Gray died after police responded to a 911 call and used "significant forced to subdue and restrain him."

Public inquiry called into conduct of Vancouver police in Myles Gray's beating death

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM
Speaking on Tuesday night at an event hosted by the Equal Voice Foundation — an organization dedicated to improving gender representation in Canadian politics — Trudeau said there are regressive forces fighting against women's progress.

Trudeau's comments on Kamala Harris 'not helpful,' premiers say, as Musk blasts PM

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved
More than 15,000 people received medical assistance in dying in Canada in 2023, but federal statistics show the growth in cases has slowed significantly. Health Canada says in its fifth annual report on MAID that the 15,343 people who received help to die last year represented a 15.8 per cent increase from 2022.

MAID cases rose to 15,000 in 2023, but growth of cases halved

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police
A 42-year-old man from Surrey faces charges of impaired operation of a vehicle and operating a vehicle with a blood alcohol level over the legal limit.  The man is set appear in court in March, while he has also lost his driver's licence for 90 days and the truck was impounded for 24 hours.

B.C. semi driver hits four cars, now faces drunk driving charges: police

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam
Police in Coquitlam say they have arrested a man they believe was involved in a series of alleged sexual assaults in the Metro Vancouver city. They say police are investigating a total of nine reports of the suspect inappropriately touching women while they were walking.

Arrest in series of sexual assaults in Coquitlam