Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Evacuations Ordered As Lightning-Caused Wildfires Flare In B.C.'s Okanagan

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Jul, 2018 12:50 PM
  • Evacuations Ordered As Lightning-Caused Wildfires Flare In B.C.'s Okanagan
SUMMERLAND, B.C. — Evacuation orders and alerts have been issued by two regional districts in British Columbia's Okanagan Valley as wildfires flare following lightning storms and several days of withering heat.
 
 
The Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen declared a state of local emergency and issued two evacuation orders overnight for a total of 43 properties, several campgrounds and a provincial park along Highway 97 between Summerland and Peachland.
 
 
Those orders are in addition to evacuations issued Wednesday by the Central Okanagan Regional District for properties just north of that area along the west side of Okanagan Lake, south of Peachland.
 
 
The BC Wildfire Service says the lightning-caused Mount Eneas wildfire has scorched about two-square kilometres of bush in steep terrain about four kilometres south of Peachland.
 
 
Evacuees are being directed to reception centres in West Kelowna and Penticton and Drive BC says although Highway 97 was closed by the fire overnight, the route has reopened to single lane alternating traffic, with an RCMP escort.
 
 
An evacuation alert is also posted for a second wildfire, the Good Creek blaze, estimated at about two-square kilometres, burning across Okanagan Lake, in Okanagan Mountain Provincial Park just outside the southern limits of the City of Kelowna.
 
 
The wildfire service said Wednesday that almost three dozen new fires had been sparked following a powerful storm and nearly 1,000 lightning strikes.
 
 
In all, the wildfire service lists 11 blazes of note, with nine, including the Mount Eneas and Good Creek fires, in the Kamloops Fire Centre and two in the Prince George Fire Centre, including an 80-hectare fire northwest of Vanderhoof that has prompted an evacuation alert.

MORE National ARTICLES

ICBC Operational Review Identifies Additional $60 Million Savings

ICBC Operational Review Identifies Additional $60 Million Savings
A government-directed independent review of ICBC has identified over $60 million in potential savings to the public insurer. This follows on the product reforms announced earlier this week by Attorney General David Eby.

ICBC Operational Review Identifies Additional $60 Million Savings

New Homes For Vulnerable People In Richmond

New Homes For Vulnerable People In Richmond
The Province is partnering with the City of Richmond to build 40 new homes with 24/7 support services to address the immediate needs of people in the community struggling to find a stable place to live.

New Homes For Vulnerable People In Richmond

B.C. Shifts Family Day, Beginning In 2019; Better For Business And Family

B.C. Shifts Family Day, Beginning In 2019; Better For Business And Family
VICTORIA – Starting next year, British Columbia’s Family Day will be moved to the third week in February so families across the country can celebrate together, announced Premier John Horgan.

B.C. Shifts Family Day, Beginning In 2019; Better For Business And Family

B.C. Invests In Teacher Education Programs In Effort To Ease Teacher Shortage

B.C. Invests In Teacher Education Programs In Effort To Ease Teacher Shortage
VICTORIA — Teacher shortages across British Columbia have prompted the government to invest in training and recruitment programs.

B.C. Invests In Teacher Education Programs In Effort To Ease Teacher Shortage

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh ‘Deeply Disturbed' By Harassment Allegations Against Former MP

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh ‘Deeply Disturbed' By Harassment Allegations Against Former MP
Federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says he's "deeply disturbed" by allegations of inappropriate behaviour levied against longtime former New Democrat MP Peter Stoffer.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh ‘Deeply Disturbed' By Harassment Allegations Against Former MP

Fundraiser For Quebec Man Paralyzed In Mosque Shooting Reaches $400,000 Goal

Fundraiser For Quebec Man Paralyzed In Mosque Shooting Reaches $400,000 Goal
MONTREAL — A fundraiser to find a new home for a man who lost use of his legs in last year's Quebec City mosque shooting has reached its $400,000 goal.

Fundraiser For Quebec Man Paralyzed In Mosque Shooting Reaches $400,000 Goal