Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Father Charged With Second-degree Murder In B.C. Sisters' Deaths

The Canadian Press, 04 Jan, 2018 12:30 PM
    OAK BAY, B.C. — The father of two girls who were found dead in a Victoria-area home on Christmas Day has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder.
     
     
    Andrew Berry, 43, was arrested and charged after he was released from hospital, RCMP said in a release on Wednesday.
     
     
     
    Police have said they were called to a residence in Oak Bay on the evening of Dec. 25 where officers discovered the bodies of two children inside.
     
     
    They also said an injured man, whose condition was not disclosed, was found inside the home and taken to hospital.
     
     
    A friend and a family member have identified the girls as Chloe Berry, 6, and her sister Aubrey Berry, 4.
     
     
    Trisha Lees, who was acting as a spokeswoman for the family, has said the children's mother notified police when her former common-law spouse hadn't returned the girls as scheduled.
     
     
    Lees declined to comment on the charges.
     
     
    At a candle-light vigil for the girls on Saturday, Ricky de Souza, the principal of St. Christopher's Montessori School where Aubrey attended, said the girl's death leaves a hole in the school
     
     
    He said the four-year-old was a kind and gentle person who was the angel Gabriel in the School's recent Christmas nativity performance.
     
     
    Stuart Hall, Christ Church Cathedral School principal, said Chloe was a peacemaker at their school and was always the first person to offer help to her classmates.
     
     
    "Chloe has left us all wounded,'' he said of her death.
     
     
    Oak Bay's acting mayor, Hazel Braithwaite, told the ceremony that the deaths have taken a toll on the entire community.
     
     
    "We have all been shaken by this tragic event,'' she said.
     
     
    A decision from the B.C. Supreme Court shows Berry and his estranged common-law wife had a dispute over custody of the girls.
     
     
    Court documents show the girls' mother, Sarah Cotton, was concerned about their father's parenting abilities.
     
     
    The documents say Berry wanted to split custody of the girls evenly with their mother.
     
     
    Instead, in a decision last May, the court granted Cotton more parenting time because of her flexible work schedule and because she had been the girls' primary caregiver for most of their lives.
     
     
    Bernard Richard, British Columbia's child and youth representative, said last week that his office has started gathering documents, but it's too early to say whether they will launch a formal investigation into the case.
     
     
    Police said on Wednesday the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit continues to investigate the deaths.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister Opens Up About Getting Lost, Injured In New Mexico Desert

    Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister Opens Up About Getting Lost, Injured In New Mexico Desert
    WINNIPEG — Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister choked up Tuesday as he recounted a harrowing night in the New Mexico desert that left him lost, wandering and with a broken arm.

    Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister Opens Up About Getting Lost, Injured In New Mexico Desert

    Doctors At Royal Columbian Hospital Hospital Question Why Police Eavesdrop On Suspects In ER

    Doctors At Royal Columbian Hospital Hospital Question Why Police Eavesdrop On Suspects In ER
    Doctors at Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster have complained that local police and RCMP officers are routinely recording conversations without consent between doctors and patients who are considered a suspect in a crime.

    Doctors At Royal Columbian Hospital Hospital Question Why Police Eavesdrop On Suspects In ER

    Body Of Quebec Man, Missing For 2 Weeks In California, Found By A Family Member

    Body Of Quebec Man, Missing For 2 Weeks In California, Found By A Family Member
    According to police in Arcata, the body of 25-year-old Felix Desautels-Poirier was found in a marsh in a city park by a member of his family.

    Body Of Quebec Man, Missing For 2 Weeks In California, Found By A Family Member

    CCPA Report Calls For Expansion Of Pension Regulations

    CCPA Report Calls For Expansion Of Pension Regulations
    OTTAWA — A report by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives recommends that payments to shareholders such as dividends and share buybacks by companies should be limited if their pension plans are underfunded.

    CCPA Report Calls For Expansion Of Pension Regulations

    Quebec Man Sentenced To Life In Stabbing Of Grocery Clerk Appealing Verdict

    Quebec Man Sentenced To Life In Stabbing Of Grocery Clerk Appealing Verdict
    Defence lawyer Julie Giroux filed the appeal Monday and asked the court to either declare her client not criminally responsible due to a mental disorder or to order a new trial.

    Quebec Man Sentenced To Life In Stabbing Of Grocery Clerk Appealing Verdict

    Pakistan Punjab CM Shehbaz Sharif Writes To Amarinder Singh, Seeks Cooperation To Combat Smog

    Pakistan Punjab CM Shehbaz Sharif Writes To Amarinder Singh, Seeks Cooperation To Combat Smog
      Pakistan's Punjab province chief minister Shehbaz Sharif has suggested to his Indian Punjab counterpart a regional cooperation arrangement to tackle the issue of smog as well as pollution.

    Pakistan Punjab CM Shehbaz Sharif Writes To Amarinder Singh, Seeks Cooperation To Combat Smog