Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Father Charged With Second-degree Murder In B.C. Sisters' Deaths

The Canadian Press, 04 Jan, 2018 12:30 PM
    OAK BAY, B.C. — The father of two girls who were found dead in a Victoria-area home on Christmas Day has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder.
     
     
    Andrew Berry, 43, was arrested and charged after he was released from hospital, RCMP said in a release on Wednesday.
     
     
     
    Police have said they were called to a residence in Oak Bay on the evening of Dec. 25 where officers discovered the bodies of two children inside.
     
     
    They also said an injured man, whose condition was not disclosed, was found inside the home and taken to hospital.
     
     
    A friend and a family member have identified the girls as Chloe Berry, 6, and her sister Aubrey Berry, 4.
     
     
    Trisha Lees, who was acting as a spokeswoman for the family, has said the children's mother notified police when her former common-law spouse hadn't returned the girls as scheduled.
     
     
    Lees declined to comment on the charges.
     
     
    At a candle-light vigil for the girls on Saturday, Ricky de Souza, the principal of St. Christopher's Montessori School where Aubrey attended, said the girl's death leaves a hole in the school
     
     
    He said the four-year-old was a kind and gentle person who was the angel Gabriel in the School's recent Christmas nativity performance.
     
     
    Stuart Hall, Christ Church Cathedral School principal, said Chloe was a peacemaker at their school and was always the first person to offer help to her classmates.
     
     
    "Chloe has left us all wounded,'' he said of her death.
     
     
    Oak Bay's acting mayor, Hazel Braithwaite, told the ceremony that the deaths have taken a toll on the entire community.
     
     
    "We have all been shaken by this tragic event,'' she said.
     
     
    A decision from the B.C. Supreme Court shows Berry and his estranged common-law wife had a dispute over custody of the girls.
     
     
    Court documents show the girls' mother, Sarah Cotton, was concerned about their father's parenting abilities.
     
     
    The documents say Berry wanted to split custody of the girls evenly with their mother.
     
     
    Instead, in a decision last May, the court granted Cotton more parenting time because of her flexible work schedule and because she had been the girls' primary caregiver for most of their lives.
     
     
    Bernard Richard, British Columbia's child and youth representative, said last week that his office has started gathering documents, but it's too early to say whether they will launch a formal investigation into the case.
     
     
    Police said on Wednesday the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit continues to investigate the deaths.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Nova Scotia Man Gets 18-month Jail Sentence For Abusing Young Daughters

    HALIFAX — A 55-year-old Nova Scotia man has been sentenced to 18 months in jail for sexually abusing his two young daughters over a 10-year period.

    Nova Scotia Man Gets 18-month Jail Sentence For Abusing Young Daughters

    Natural Remedies Used: Appeal Court Upholds Parents' Conviction In Son's Death

    Natural Remedies Used: Appeal Court Upholds Parents' Conviction In Son's Death
    LETHBRIDGE, Alta. — The Alberta Court of Appeal has upheld convictions against a couple who treated their toddler son with natural remedies before he died of meningitis.

    Natural Remedies Used: Appeal Court Upholds Parents' Conviction In Son's Death

    'He Was Hearing From Monica:' Accused Told Aunt His Dead Sister Was Texting Him

    'He Was Hearing From Monica:' Accused Told Aunt His Dead Sister Was Texting Him
    RED DEER, Alta. — A central Alberta man accused of killing his family told an aunt his dead sister was communicating with him about how she and her parents died.

    'He Was Hearing From Monica:' Accused Told Aunt His Dead Sister Was Texting Him

    WATCH: Environmental Activists Interrupt PM Trudeau News Conference In Vancouver

    WATCH: Environmental Activists Interrupt PM Trudeau News Conference In Vancouver
    Sources Say The Federal Government Could Be Ready To Provide A Rapid-reaction Force In The Golan Heights

    WATCH: Environmental Activists Interrupt PM Trudeau News Conference In Vancouver

    Memorial Marks 20 Years Since Reena Virk's Death, Steps From Tragic Scene

    Memorial Marks 20 Years Since Reena Virk's Death, Steps From Tragic Scene
    It's Been 20 Years Since Reena Virk Was Beaten And Drowned Near The Craigflower Bridge In Saanich, B.C.

    Memorial Marks 20 Years Since Reena Virk's Death, Steps From Tragic Scene

    Yukon Man Tells Story Of Survival After Battle With Enraged, Injured Bison

    Yukon Man Tells Story Of Survival After Battle With Enraged, Injured Bison
    WHITEHORSE — A Yukon hunter has a harrowing tale of survival after tangling with a bison, the largest land mammal in North America.

    Yukon Man Tells Story Of Survival After Battle With Enraged, Injured Bison