Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Sep, 2023 10:37 AM
  • Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash

The case of a former truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash is in Federal Court, where arguments are being heard today over his possible deportation.  

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was sentenced in 2019 to eight years after pleading guilty to dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm in the Saskatchewan crash that killed 16 people and injured 13 others. 

Court heard the rookie Calgary trucker, a newly married permanent resident, went through a stop sign at a rural intersection and drove into the path of the bus carrying Humboldt Broncos players and staff in 2018. 

The Canada Border Services Agency has recommended Sidhu be handed over to the Immigration and Refugee Board to decide whether he should be deported to India.

The Federal Court has agreed to hear the case, but is unlikely to issue a decision today.

If Sidhu is successful, the matter would be sent back to the Canada Border Services Agency for another review.

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD arrests suspect in two sexual assaults

VPD arrests suspect in two sexual assaults
At 7:30 p.m. on July 6, a 24-year-old woman reported she had been sexually assaulted while on the escalator at the Granville SkyTrain Station by a suspect who ran away. The investigation was completed by Metro Vancouver Transit Police. A second incident occurred the following day on West Broadway at Ash Street. Just before 2 p.m. a 38-year-old woman was sexually assaulted.  

VPD arrests suspect in two sexual assaults

93 year old man knocked to the ground and suffers broken hip in stranger attack

93 year old man knocked to the ground and suffers broken hip in stranger attack
The victim – a neighbourhood resident for 30 years – was walking to a bakery near Main Street and East Pender when he was pushed over by a stranger around 3:15 Tuesday afternoon. Several witnesses stopped to help the senior, who was taken to hospital.

93 year old man knocked to the ground and suffers broken hip in stranger attack

B.C. readies for post-drought flooding: government

B.C. readies for post-drought flooding: government
Emergency Management BC says when rain falls after long dry spells, the parched soil can increase runoff and river flow. It says the transition to the rainy season doesn't typically cause extensive flooding and the devastation wreaked by last year's atmospheric rivers was rare. 

B.C. readies for post-drought flooding: government

B.C. health workers, employers ratify contract

B.C. health workers, employers ratify contract
The B.C. government says in a statement the Facilities Bargaining Association, which represents about 60,000 people delivering health services throughout the province, has ratified a new contract. It says the nine-union association is led by the Hospital Employees' Union, which represents about 93 per cent of the health workers covered by the agreement.

B.C. health workers, employers ratify contract

Metro Vancouver urges shorter showers amid drought

Metro Vancouver urges shorter showers amid drought
A statement from the regional district of Metro Vancouver says water use is up by 20 per cent for this time of year because of the extended dry, warm weather. It says the area's watersheds have received about 50 millimetres of rain since the start of August, when it would typically see about 400 millimetres between Aug. 1 and Oct. 1.

Metro Vancouver urges shorter showers amid drought

Defence in Todd case now seeks 2-year sentence

Defence in Todd case now seeks 2-year sentence
Joseph Saulnier told a sentencing hearing in B.C. Supreme Court that his client is already serving an 11-year sentence for similar offences against 33 young victims in the Netherlands and more prison time would be "unduly harsh."

Defence in Todd case now seeks 2-year sentence