Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Sep, 2023 10:37 AM
  • Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash

The case of a former truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash is in Federal Court, where arguments are being heard today over his possible deportation.  

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was sentenced in 2019 to eight years after pleading guilty to dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm in the Saskatchewan crash that killed 16 people and injured 13 others. 

Court heard the rookie Calgary trucker, a newly married permanent resident, went through a stop sign at a rural intersection and drove into the path of the bus carrying Humboldt Broncos players and staff in 2018. 

The Canada Border Services Agency has recommended Sidhu be handed over to the Immigration and Refugee Board to decide whether he should be deported to India.

The Federal Court has agreed to hear the case, but is unlikely to issue a decision today.

If Sidhu is successful, the matter would be sent back to the Canada Border Services Agency for another review.

MORE National ARTICLES

Boost to GST rebate would cost $2.6 billion: PBO

Boost to GST rebate would cost $2.6 billion: PBO
The government tabled a bill earlier this month to boost the rebate for six months in an effort to help low- and modest-income Canadians cope with high inflation. The proposal followed months of pressure from the NDP to help people who are struggling with the rising cost of living.  

Boost to GST rebate would cost $2.6 billion: PBO

Canada overdue in Indo-Pacific strategy: experts

Canada overdue in Indo-Pacific strategy: experts
A new book urges the Liberals to outline its friends, foes and priorities in the region spanning India to British Columbia. Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly said this spring that a strategy was imminent, but her office still has no timeline for when it will be released.  

Canada overdue in Indo-Pacific strategy: experts

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave
Mark was the minister for tourism, arts, culture and sport. She will continue to represent the riding of Vancouver-Mount Pleasant in the legislature. Mark is the first First Nations woman elected to B.C.'s legislative assembly, and the first to serve as a cabinet minister.

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year
New data from the service cites 169 drug deaths last month, representing a 12 per cent decrease from July, and equating to about 5.5 deaths per day. It says illicit drug toxicity is the leading cause of unnatural death in B.C., with an average of 184 drug deaths each month since October 2020.

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall
Officials said during a technical briefing today that pressures on the health system including staffing shortages are being factored into planning for hospital bed capacity. This is expected to be the first season the flu has a significant comeback since pandemic restrictions dampened the spread of it and other respiratory illnesses over the past two years.

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole
The victim was injured and required medical attention, however the injuries are not life threatening. Several officers flooded the area in search of the suspect, however he has not yet been located.

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole