Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Sep, 2023 10:37 AM
  • Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash

The case of a former truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash is in Federal Court, where arguments are being heard today over his possible deportation.  

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was sentenced in 2019 to eight years after pleading guilty to dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm in the Saskatchewan crash that killed 16 people and injured 13 others. 

Court heard the rookie Calgary trucker, a newly married permanent resident, went through a stop sign at a rural intersection and drove into the path of the bus carrying Humboldt Broncos players and staff in 2018. 

The Canada Border Services Agency has recommended Sidhu be handed over to the Immigration and Refugee Board to decide whether he should be deported to India.

The Federal Court has agreed to hear the case, but is unlikely to issue a decision today.

If Sidhu is successful, the matter would be sent back to the Canada Border Services Agency for another review.

MORE National ARTICLES

Liberals table dental-care legislation

Liberals table dental-care legislation
If granted royal assent, Bill C-31 would provide qualifying families with children under the age of 12 with up to $650 per child each year to pay for dental care services. Families with a household income under $90,000 need to provide the Canada Revenue Agency with the name of their licensed dental-care practitioner and the month of the planned appointment.

Liberals table dental-care legislation

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.
The lumber producer says it is taking a two-week curtailment starting Sept. 26 at the majority of its solid wood facilities in B.C. Production will resume with reduced operating schedules until the end of the year.

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child
A statement from Vancouver police says the three-year-old and his mother were found near Calgary early Tuesday. Police say the boy is now receiving care and his mother has been arrested.

Amber Alert cancelled for missing child

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser
A B.C. Supreme Court jury convicted Aydin Coban last month of extortion, harassment, communication with a young person to commit a sexual offence and possession and distribution of child pornography.

Sentencing hearing begins for Amanda Todd harasser

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect
At approximately 3:54 pm this afternoon, Surrey RCMP received a report of a structure fire in the 14800 block of 75a avenue. Upon arrival, police found the residence fully engulfed, and firefighters were hard at work trying to contain the fire. Police and fire crews are on scene. It is expected that traffic in the area will be disrupted for some time.

Structure fire in Surrey lands 2 in hospital, road closures in effect

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital
When police arrived they confirmed the man, a 51 year old Maple Ridge resident, was suffering from gunshot wounds. The man was transported to hospital with serious injuries. The house remains secured by police while they execute a search warrant.  

Late night shooting in Maple Ridge over the weekend lands man in hospital