Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Sep, 2023 10:37 AM
  • Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash

The case of a former truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash is in Federal Court, where arguments are being heard today over his possible deportation.  

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was sentenced in 2019 to eight years after pleading guilty to dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm in the Saskatchewan crash that killed 16 people and injured 13 others. 

Court heard the rookie Calgary trucker, a newly married permanent resident, went through a stop sign at a rural intersection and drove into the path of the bus carrying Humboldt Broncos players and staff in 2018. 

The Canada Border Services Agency has recommended Sidhu be handed over to the Immigration and Refugee Board to decide whether he should be deported to India.

The Federal Court has agreed to hear the case, but is unlikely to issue a decision today.

If Sidhu is successful, the matter would be sent back to the Canada Border Services Agency for another review.

MORE National ARTICLES

Visa delays leave international students in limbo

Visa delays leave international students in limbo
Students, universities, immigration consultants and even the High Commission of India have raised concerns about delayed visas putting many students' studies at risk. The High Commission of India in Ottawa said in a statement it was talking to Canadian universities about what can be done to accommodate the large number of Indian international students who are still waiting for visas.

Visa delays leave international students in limbo

Housing with OD services to be offered in Nanaimo

Housing with OD services to be offered in Nanaimo
Mental Health and Addictions Minister Sheila Malcolmson has announced the project in the Vancouver Island community alongside Mayor Leonard Krog, and she says in a release that the aim is to provide services in existing supportive housing.

Housing with OD services to be offered in Nanaimo

Man charged over multiple attacks in Vancouver

Man charged over multiple attacks in Vancouver
They include a 70-year-old man who police say was tackled to the ground, a 33-year-old woman who was punched in the face and a 23-year-old woman police say had been stabbed.  

Man charged over multiple attacks in Vancouver

Two B.C. blazes to lose 'wildfire of note' status

Two B.C. blazes to lose 'wildfire of note' status
The downgrading of the fires comes as Environment Canada issues heat warnings for Whistler, Squamish, Sunshine Coast, East Vancouver Island and Inland Vancouver Island.

Two B.C. blazes to lose 'wildfire of note' status

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey
The police found the 47-year-old man having sustained life-threatening injuries. First responders performed emergency first aid, but the victim did not survive.  IHIT has now taken over the investigation. 

IHIT investigating homicide in Surrey

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey
The Canadian Medical Association's national physician health survey, released Thursday, indicates that 53 per cent of respondents reported symptoms of burnout, including emotional exhaustion. The reported burnout rate among doctors was 1.7 times higher than it was in the association's previous survey in 2017.

Well-being of Canadian doctors declining: survey