Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Sep, 2023 10:37 AM
  • Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash

The case of a former truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash is in Federal Court, where arguments are being heard today over his possible deportation.  

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was sentenced in 2019 to eight years after pleading guilty to dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm in the Saskatchewan crash that killed 16 people and injured 13 others. 

Court heard the rookie Calgary trucker, a newly married permanent resident, went through a stop sign at a rural intersection and drove into the path of the bus carrying Humboldt Broncos players and staff in 2018. 

The Canada Border Services Agency has recommended Sidhu be handed over to the Immigration and Refugee Board to decide whether he should be deported to India.

The Federal Court has agreed to hear the case, but is unlikely to issue a decision today.

If Sidhu is successful, the matter would be sent back to the Canada Border Services Agency for another review.

MORE National ARTICLES

Inflation expected to have eased again in February

Inflation expected to have eased again in February
Statistics Canada is set to release its February consumer price index report on Tuesday, giving its most up-to-date reading on inflation ahead of the federal government's budget on March 28. Desjardins and RBC are both forecasting the inflation rate fell to 5.4 per cent last month, down from 5.9 per cent in January.

Inflation expected to have eased again in February

Man shot, killed by police in Prince George, B.C.

Man shot, killed by police in Prince George, B.C.
A statement from RCMP says the force has notified the independent B.C. office that investigates all cases of police-involved death or serious injury. Staff Sgt. Kris Clark says officers were called to Highway 97 just south of Prince George on Thursday because the man was in his vehicle and having a mental health crisis.

Man shot, killed by police in Prince George, B.C.

Homes under construction in Burnaby, Coquitlam, and West Vancouver targeted by theft home finishings and fixtures stolen.

Homes under construction in Burnaby, Coquitlam, and West Vancouver targeted by theft home finishings and  fixtures stolen.
The stolen property included everything from stoves, fridges, toilets and plumbing fixtures, to flooring and lighting, with many items still in their original packaging. The value of seized goods is estimated to be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some individual items are estimated to be worth as much as $25,000.

Homes under construction in Burnaby, Coquitlam, and West Vancouver targeted by theft home finishings and fixtures stolen.

Discrimination found at human rights body: union

Discrimination found at human rights body: union
It said the Treasury Board Secretariat found the commission breached the "no discrimination" clause in its collective agreement, and has invited parties to engage in a mediation process to seek a meaningful resolution.  The union is calling the March 6 decision an important win, and one that will have consequences across the federal public service.

Discrimination found at human rights body: union

Councillor '100%' in support of interference probe

Councillor '100%' in support of interference probe
 The report says consulate officials worked to oust then-mayor Kennedy Stewart and elect a new mayor and a certain city councillor. Ongoing concerns about possible foreign interference in the 2019 and 2021 federal elections spurred Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to name former governor general David Johnston to investigate.

Councillor '100%' in support of interference probe

Killer says Amanda Zhao may be alive, enraging mom

Killer says Amanda Zhao may be alive, enraging mom
The 21-year-old English student’s remains had been found stuffed in a suitcase in Mission, B.C., and Yang’s identification of her daughter was also confirmed by a police DNA test. More than 20 years later, any sense of closure thatact offered has been torn apart by the claims of Zhao's convicted killer, Ang Li, that he was framed by China's government and Zhao might not be dead at all.

Killer says Amanda Zhao may be alive, enraging mom