Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Sep, 2023 10:37 AM
  • Federal Court hearing arguments on deportation of truck driver in Broncos crash

The case of a former truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash is in Federal Court, where arguments are being heard today over his possible deportation.  

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was sentenced in 2019 to eight years after pleading guilty to dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm in the Saskatchewan crash that killed 16 people and injured 13 others. 

Court heard the rookie Calgary trucker, a newly married permanent resident, went through a stop sign at a rural intersection and drove into the path of the bus carrying Humboldt Broncos players and staff in 2018. 

The Canada Border Services Agency has recommended Sidhu be handed over to the Immigration and Refugee Board to decide whether he should be deported to India.

The Federal Court has agreed to hear the case, but is unlikely to issue a decision today.

If Sidhu is successful, the matter would be sent back to the Canada Border Services Agency for another review.

MORE National ARTICLES

Nearly 500 B.C. staff hit by Canfor restructuring

Nearly 500 B.C. staff hit by Canfor restructuring
The Chetwynd closure is expected in April or May and the announcement came just two days after the mill reopened following a holiday curtailment, but a company statement says Canfor is "committed to supporting displaced employees," and where possible, it says they will top the list for hiring at other mills.

Nearly 500 B.C. staff hit by Canfor restructuring

COVID-19 misinformation cost Canadian lives: study

COVID-19 misinformation cost Canadian lives: study
The study suggests that the belief that COVID-19 was a "hoax or exaggerated" led to 2.35 million people delaying or refusing to get the vaccine between March and November of 2021. The study also didn't include estimated "indirect costs and the ripple costs," he says, such as delayed elective surgeries and treating long-COVID cases.

COVID-19 misinformation cost Canadian lives: study

Impersonators behind 32 home frauds in Ont., B.C.

Impersonators behind 32 home frauds in Ont., B.C.
Mortgage and title fraudsters who impersonate homeowners and tenants have targeted at least 32 properties in Ontario and British Columbia, investigators and official warnings suggest.  Insurance investigator Brian King, president and CEO of King International Advisory Group, said his firm had received 30 such claims in Ontario.

Impersonators behind 32 home frauds in Ont., B.C.

Union wants national transit safety task force

Union wants national transit safety task force
A task force should consider whether de-escalation training, harsher penalties, increased mental health funding, better housing supports and greater police presence could help prevent violence on transit. The call for a task force came after a number of violent attacks targeting workers and riders on the Toronto Transit Commission.

Union wants national transit safety task force

U.S., Canada unveil details of new Nexus scheme

U.S., Canada unveil details of new Nexus scheme
The biggest change, to take effect in the spring, will allow U.S. border agents to interview Nexus applicants at select Canadian airports before boarding a U.S.-bound flight. That will happen only after applicants take part in a separate, appointment-only interview with Canadian agents at a Nexus airport enrolment centre.

U.S., Canada unveil details of new Nexus scheme

What methods does Ottawa want RCMP to stop using?

What methods does Ottawa want RCMP to stop using?
Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino directed Commissioner Brenda Lucki to bar Mounties from using the method in a mandate letter last year. The fact that he also asked RCMP to stop using two other tools — tear gas and rubber bullets — has received less public attention.    

What methods does Ottawa want RCMP to stop using?