Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government commits $187M to rebuild critical infrastructure in Jasper

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Mar, 2025 11:10 AM
  • Federal government commits $187M to rebuild critical infrastructure in Jasper

More financial support is on the way for fire-ravaged Jasper, Alta., as the federal government has announced $187 million in new funding for the town's rebuild.

It is the largest funding package to be announced since a runaway wildfire ripped through Jasper National Park and destroyed a third of the town last July.

The money will help rebuild roads, campgrounds, trails and permanent staff housing, and help provide interim housing while the town is rebuilt.

Prime Minister Mark Carney announced the funding on Thursday in Edmonton, where he will also meet with Alberta Premier Danielle Smith.

In January, the Alberta government backtracked on its $112-million commitment to Jasper's rebuild because the town's plans for rebuilding with high-density permanent housing conflicted with the province's vision of building single-family homes.

Many Jasper residents have already moved into interim housing, and Mayor Richard Ireland has said the rebuild will begin in earnest this spring.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP rolling out body cameras

Surrey RCMP rolling out body cameras
Surrey R-C-M-P says they will announce the rollout of body-worn cameras today.  The rollout will be the largest deployment in the province with more than three-thousand cameras expected. 

Surrey RCMP rolling out body cameras

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person
A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

B.C. Conservative leader names shadow cabinet, gives job to controversial member

B.C. Conservative leader names shadow cabinet, gives job to controversial member
B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad has assigned jobs to 41 of his 44-member caucus, including giving a critic's position to MLA Brent Chapman, who faced calls to step down during the campaign over controversial social media remarks. Several groups called on Rustad during last month's election to remove Chapman as his party's candidate over the posts, including one in which he called Palestinian children "inbred walking, talking, breathing time bombs."

B.C. Conservative leader names shadow cabinet, gives job to controversial member

Former PM Stephen Harper appointed to oversee Alberta's $160B AIMCo fund manager

Former PM Stephen Harper appointed to oversee Alberta's $160B AIMCo fund manager
Former prime minister Stephen Harper is the new chairman of the Alberta Investment Management Corp., which oversees more than $160 billion in funds, including pension funds and the Heritage Savings Trust Fund. The move comes almost two weeks after the province's finance minister fired the Crown agency's entire board, along with a number of executives, citing ballooning costs and substandard returns.

Former PM Stephen Harper appointed to oversee Alberta's $160B AIMCo fund manager

Eby's NDP cabinet 'bloated, expensive,' says B.C. Conservative leader John Rustad

Eby's NDP cabinet 'bloated, expensive,' says B.C. Conservative leader John Rustad
British Columbia Conservative Leader John Rustad says Premier David Eby's new cabinet appears to be a taxpayer-funded loyalty program that rewards NDP caucus. Eby introduced his new cabinet this week, which includes 23 ministers, four ministers of state and 14 parliamentary secretaries. 

Eby's NDP cabinet 'bloated, expensive,' says B.C. Conservative leader John Rustad

Investigation led to huge drug bust, which will disrupt Surrey drug trade, says RCMP

Investigation led to huge drug bust, which will disrupt Surrey drug trade, says RCMP
Mounties in Surrey say a year-long investigation has led to one of the largest drug seizures in the detachment's history and will "disrupt" the drug trade in the city. RCMP say they launched an investigation in June 2023 into a criminal group alleged to be involved in trafficking "high-potency" drugs and illicit firearms in the Lower Mainland. 

Investigation led to huge drug bust, which will disrupt Surrey drug trade, says RCMP