Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government commits $187M to rebuild critical infrastructure in Jasper

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Mar, 2025 11:10 AM
  • Federal government commits $187M to rebuild critical infrastructure in Jasper

More financial support is on the way for fire-ravaged Jasper, Alta., as the federal government has announced $187 million in new funding for the town's rebuild.

It is the largest funding package to be announced since a runaway wildfire ripped through Jasper National Park and destroyed a third of the town last July.

The money will help rebuild roads, campgrounds, trails and permanent staff housing, and help provide interim housing while the town is rebuilt.

Prime Minister Mark Carney announced the funding on Thursday in Edmonton, where he will also meet with Alberta Premier Danielle Smith.

In January, the Alberta government backtracked on its $112-million commitment to Jasper's rebuild because the town's plans for rebuilding with high-density permanent housing conflicted with the province's vision of building single-family homes.

Many Jasper residents have already moved into interim housing, and Mayor Richard Ireland has said the rebuild will begin in earnest this spring.

MORE National ARTICLES

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report
Seniors 65 years and older are more likely to have access to a family doctor or nurse practitioner than younger adults between 18 and 34, and access to primary care is highest in Ontario and lowest in Nunavut, the CIHI report released Thursday says.  

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies
A man has been sentenced to more than two years in prison as well as receiving a lifetime firearms ban after pleading guilty to multiple robberies in the Lower Mainland. Surrey Mounties say Jaden Kahnapace pleaded guilty earlier this year to three robberies in 2021 that all happened within the span of two weeks.

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies

Seizure of guns & illicit drugs in Penticton

Seizure of guns & illicit drugs in Penticton
Mounties in Penticton say a search warrant has led to the seizure of several guns as well as cash and suspected illicit drugs. R-C-M-P say it also resulted in the arrests of four people linked to the home in the one-thousand-block of Government Street.

Seizure of guns & illicit drugs in Penticton

Trudeau announces massive drop in immigration targets as Liberals make major pivot

Trudeau announces massive drop in immigration targets as Liberals make major pivot
The federal government is slashing immigration targets as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau admits the government did not get the balance right following the COVID-19 pandemic. The government had targeted bringing in 500,000 new permanent residents in both 2025 and 2026.

Trudeau announces massive drop in immigration targets as Liberals make major pivot

Groups say Jewish students, staff at University of B.C. face hostile environment

Groups say Jewish students, staff at University of B.C. face hostile environment
A coalition of Jewish organizations says it is "deeply alarmed" by a rising tide of antisemitism at the University of British Columbia in recent weeks.  A joint statement sent out by six groups, including the Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver and Canadian Jewish Advocacy, says Jewish staff, students and faculty members at the university have faced "an increasingly hostile environment" since the start of the academic year. 

Groups say Jewish students, staff at University of B.C. face hostile environment

Vancouver begins process of closing homeless encampment at Crab Park

Vancouver begins process of closing homeless encampment at Crab Park
Vancouver's park board says it has begun the process of closing the homeless encampment that has been in place at a local park since 2021. The park board says it is talking directly with each of the seven people still in the camp located in the designated area at Crab Park, with the goal of closing the encampment and returning the area to "general park use" by Nov. 7.

Vancouver begins process of closing homeless encampment at Crab Park