Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government commits $187M to rebuild critical infrastructure in Jasper

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Mar, 2025 11:10 AM
  • Federal government commits $187M to rebuild critical infrastructure in Jasper

More financial support is on the way for fire-ravaged Jasper, Alta., as the federal government has announced $187 million in new funding for the town's rebuild.

It is the largest funding package to be announced since a runaway wildfire ripped through Jasper National Park and destroyed a third of the town last July.

The money will help rebuild roads, campgrounds, trails and permanent staff housing, and help provide interim housing while the town is rebuilt.

Prime Minister Mark Carney announced the funding on Thursday in Edmonton, where he will also meet with Alberta Premier Danielle Smith.

In January, the Alberta government backtracked on its $112-million commitment to Jasper's rebuild because the town's plans for rebuilding with high-density permanent housing conflicted with the province's vision of building single-family homes.

Many Jasper residents have already moved into interim housing, and Mayor Richard Ireland has said the rebuild will begin in earnest this spring.

MORE National ARTICLES

BC Wildfire crews respond to 30-hectare fire, north of Lillooet

BC Wildfire crews respond to 30-hectare fire, north of Lillooet
The British Columbia Wildfire Service says its crews are responding to a 30-hectare wildfire billowing smoke over Highway 99 north of Lillooet.  The agency says on Facebook that the Tiffen Creek wildfire is "highly visible" from the highway and from the towns of Lillooet and Pavilion. 

BC Wildfire crews respond to 30-hectare fire, north of Lillooet

1 in hospital in Kelowna stabbing

1 in hospital in Kelowna stabbing
Police say a man is in hospital in stable condition after a stabbing in Kelowna. Central Okanagan R-C-M-P say the man was found with several stab wounds near the shopping area along Springfield Road at around 3:15 yesterday afternoon.

1 in hospital in Kelowna stabbing

B.C. government says boosted BC Family Benefit cheques will arrive in July

B.C. government says boosted BC Family Benefit cheques will arrive in July
Thousands of families in British Columbia can expect to see increased financial support in their bank accounts starting by mid-July. B.C. Premier David Eby says about 340,000 families with children — 66,000 more than last year — will have access to the BC Family Benefit program after the province increased the income threshold for a family's eligibility.  

B.C. government says boosted BC Family Benefit cheques will arrive in July

Canada's population forecast to reach 63 million, as people over 85 set to triple

Canada's population forecast to reach 63 million, as people over 85 set to triple
New projections by Statistics Canada suggest the nation's population could reach 63 million by 2073, with the number of people aged 85 or older set to triple. The agency says migration will be the key driver of population increase under all scenarios, while natural growth only plays a "marginal role" as the population ages and fertility rates remain low.

Canada's population forecast to reach 63 million, as people over 85 set to triple

'It was worth it': Former Alberta premier Rachel Notley bids farewell as NDP leader

'It was worth it': Former Alberta premier Rachel Notley bids farewell as NDP leader
Alberta NDP Leader Rachel Notley has formally bid goodbye to the party that, on her watch, won government for the first and only time in 2015. Notley encouraged cheering delegates Friday to be ready to rally around whoever replaces her and to fight to win again in 2027.

'It was worth it': Former Alberta premier Rachel Notley bids farewell as NDP leader

Canada to start 30-day consultation to impose surtax on Chinese EVs

Canada to start 30-day consultation to impose surtax on Chinese EVs
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland says Canada is investigating whether to impose a surtax on imports of Chinese-made electric vehicles. A 30-day consultation on the issue will begin July 2 to counter what Freeland says is a clear effort by Chinese companies to generate a global oversupply.

Canada to start 30-day consultation to impose surtax on Chinese EVs