Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:42 PM
  • Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions

The federal government plans to extend the deadline for claiming charitable donations on tax returns through to the end of February.

The announcement from Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc comes nearly a week after the premiers called on Justin Trudeau's government to make the move.

A statement from LeBlanc's office says the extension will help ease the effects of the four-week Canada Post strike.

Charities reported major declines in mail-in donations during what is typically their busiest time of year, saying the strike prevented donors from sending cheques the old-fashioned way.

The Salvation Army, for example, reported a drop in holiday donations of more than 50 per cent this year. It welcomed the federal government's decision in a written statement Monday.

The Finance Department says the government will introduce legislation to make the changes once Parliament resumes in the new year.

MPs are set to return Jan. 27, but it is unclear how long the Liberal minority government will continue to have the confidence of the House. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Facts about the B.C. Greens who could be kingmakers in the legislature

Facts about the B.C. Greens who could be kingmakers in the legislature
Two Green Party legislators could hold the balance of power in British Columbia after Saturday's provincial election gave neither the NDP nor the B.C. Conservatives a majority of seats after the initial count. Both Green members are new to provincial politics, although leader Sonia Furstenau will continue to lead the party after she lost re-election when she switched ridings to Victoria-Beacon Hill. 

Facts about the B.C. Greens who could be kingmakers in the legislature

Coroner says there's been a sharp spike in females dying from illicit drugs in B.C.

Coroner says there's been a sharp spike in females dying from illicit drugs in B.C.
Illicit drug deaths are down slightly in British Columbia from the same period last year, but the coroners service says females are dying at a much higher rate.  The service says in a statement that 26 per cent of the 1,749 toxicity deaths so far this year were women or girls, and the rate of death among females is up 60 per cent from four years ago.

Coroner says there's been a sharp spike in females dying from illicit drugs in B.C.

Trudeau says he will remain prime minister despite caucus revolt

Trudeau says he will remain prime minister despite caucus revolt
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he has no intention of stepping down as the leader of the Liberal party by next week. A letter signed by two dozen Liberal MPs asking Trudeau to step down was presented to the prime minister Wednesday at a tense caucus meeting in Ottawa.

Trudeau says he will remain prime minister despite caucus revolt

NDP plan motion to push back against anti-abortion 'creep' from Conservatives

NDP plan motion to push back against anti-abortion 'creep' from Conservatives
Leader Jagmeet Singh says his party will use its next opposition day to force the House of Commons to debate and vote on a motion that calls for urgent action to improve abortion access. Speaking in Montreal, Singh also called out the governing Liberals, saying they haven't done enough to improve abortion access in Canada. 

NDP plan motion to push back against anti-abortion 'creep' from Conservatives

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report
Seniors 65 years and older are more likely to have access to a family doctor or nurse practitioner than younger adults between 18 and 34, and access to primary care is highest in Ontario and lowest in Nunavut, the CIHI report released Thursday says.  

5 million adults without primary care, surgeries returning to normal: CIHI report

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies
A man has been sentenced to more than two years in prison as well as receiving a lifetime firearms ban after pleading guilty to multiple robberies in the Lower Mainland. Surrey Mounties say Jaden Kahnapace pleaded guilty earlier this year to three robberies in 2021 that all happened within the span of two weeks.

Man pleads guilty to multiple robberies