Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:42 PM
  • Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions

The federal government plans to extend the deadline for claiming charitable donations on tax returns through to the end of February.

The announcement from Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc comes nearly a week after the premiers called on Justin Trudeau's government to make the move.

A statement from LeBlanc's office says the extension will help ease the effects of the four-week Canada Post strike.

Charities reported major declines in mail-in donations during what is typically their busiest time of year, saying the strike prevented donors from sending cheques the old-fashioned way.

The Salvation Army, for example, reported a drop in holiday donations of more than 50 per cent this year. It welcomed the federal government's decision in a written statement Monday.

The Finance Department says the government will introduce legislation to make the changes once Parliament resumes in the new year.

MPs are set to return Jan. 27, but it is unclear how long the Liberal minority government will continue to have the confidence of the House. 

MORE National ARTICLES

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay
A spokeswoman for Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says 18 Canadians were brought out of Haiti by helicopter this morning. On Monday, Joly had said the 18 had already left, but Global Affairs Canada has clarified that their departure was put off due to bad weather.

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay

Canadian bridges are safe, officials say after U.S. bridge rammed by ship, collapses

Canadian bridges are safe, officials say after U.S. bridge rammed by ship, collapses
Canadian authorities are trying to reassure the public about the safety of bridges in the country following the collapse of a bridge in Baltimore, Md., early this morning after it was rammed by a container ship.

Canadian bridges are safe, officials say after U.S. bridge rammed by ship, collapses

King George SkyTrain Station to remain closed for 6 weeks as of April

King George SkyTrain Station to remain closed for 6 weeks as of April
TransLink says the King George SkyTrain Station will be closed for approximately six weeks starting next month. A statement says the closure starting April 27th will allow essential maintenance work to happen and the Expo Line in Surrey will temporarily end at Surrey Central Station.

King George SkyTrain Station to remain closed for 6 weeks as of April

Child dies in fall through ice

Child dies in fall through ice
Mounties in Williams Lake, B.C., say a child has died in a plunge through the ice on Tyee Lake, in the province's Cariboo region. Police say it happened Saturday when the utility task vehicle the child was riding on went through the ice.

Child dies in fall through ice

B.C. to spend $24 million on community walking and cycling projects

B.C. to spend $24 million on community walking and cycling projects
The British Columbia government is handing out $24 million to more communities that want to improve their walking and cycling infrastructure. The Active Transportation Infrastructure Grants program is part of a cost-sharing agreement with Indigenous, local and regional governments that provides up to $500,000 for infrastructure projects, and up to $50,000 to develop the active network plans. 

B.C. to spend $24 million on community walking and cycling projects

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly
Canada welcomes the United Nations Security Council's call for a ceasefire in the war between Israel and Hamas during Muslim holy month of Ramadan, Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly said Monday.  Canada has been asking for a sustainable ceasefire since December, she said at a press conference in Ottawa.

Canada welcomes Gaza ceasefire vote at United Nations Security Council: Joly