Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

United Kingdom is the winner of the Honda Celebration of Light Fireworks

United Kingdom is the winner of the Honda Celebration of Light Fireworks
The UK was honoured as this year’s winner in both the People’s Choice and Judge’s Competition Award, based on a tightly choreographed performance, and in spite of stiff competition from Team Macedo Pirotecnia representing Malaysia, and Team Pyro Tact representing Portugal.

United Kingdom is the winner of the Honda Celebration of Light Fireworks

Remote access fraud in New Westminster

Remote access fraud in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster have issued a warning about what they call "remote access" or "tech support" scams, after a member of the public reported that someone else had accessed the cryptocurrency wallet on his phone. Police say the scams often begin with the victim receiving an unsolicited phone call, or they may click on a pop-up message while browsing the Internet.

Remote access fraud in New Westminster

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond
Mounties in Richmond say a search warrant led to the discovery of what they describe as a "sophisticated forged identification lab." R-C-M-P say they conducted the search in December 2022, and criminal charges were approved against a man in early May this year. 

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond

1 in hospital in serious crash

1 in hospital in serious crash
Police in Metro Vancouver are looking for witnesses to a serious crash that sent one person to hospital yesterday morning. Delta Police say it happened along River Road at around 8 a-m, when a white Volkswagen Jetta collided with a semi-truck.

1 in hospital in serious crash

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires
Emergency Management Minister Bowinn Ma said the weather has offered "much-needed relief" to communities and firefighting crews. Several evacuation orders and alerts have been lifted around the Antler and Shetland creek blazes, she said.

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom
An Edmonton man has been sentenced to five years in prison after being convicted in the United Kingdom of being a member of a proscribed terrorist group. RCMP say Khaled Hussein, a Canadian citizen, also received one year on probation.

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom