Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Foreign interference inquiry signals plan to probe alleged meddling by India

Foreign interference inquiry signals plan to probe alleged meddling by India
The federal commission of inquiry into foreign interference is looking to examine alleged meddling by India in the last two general elections. In a statement today, the commission says it has asked the federal government to produce documentation related to these allegations.  

Foreign interference inquiry signals plan to probe alleged meddling by India

Labour board sets hearings for Metro Vancouver bus dispute as service resumes

Labour board sets hearings for Metro Vancouver bus dispute as service resumes
The Labour Relations Board has scheduled hearings today and tomorrow in the industrial dispute that paralyzed Metro Vancouver bus services this week. Bus and SeaBus services resumed this morning after the end of the 48-hour strike by more than 180 transit supervisors represented by Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 4500.  

Labour board sets hearings for Metro Vancouver bus dispute as service resumes

Over 111K seized in New Westminster

Over 111K seized in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster say a recent traffic stop led to the seizure of more than 111-thousand dollars in cash, and drugs with a street value of about 100-thousand dollars. They say officers with its Gang Suppression Unit pulled over a suspicious vehicle last Thursday and arrested the driver, who was prohibited from driving.  

Over 111K seized in New Westminster

Cyclist stabbed in Victoria

Cyclist stabbed in Victoria
Officers in Victoria say they’ve arrested a man accused of randomly stabbing a cyclist outside police headquarters. Investigators say the victim was passing by this morning when they were approached by the suspect and slashed with a knife.

Cyclist stabbed in Victoria

Passenger airplane crashes in Northwest Territories, injuries unknown

Passenger airplane crashes in Northwest Territories, injuries unknown
The Transportation Safety Board of Canada says a plane that crashed near Fort Smith, N.W.T., was a British Aerospace Jetstream registered to Northwestern Air Lease. The airline's website says it has two of the planes in its fleet that can carry 19 passengers. There is no word on how many people were on the plane that crashed, or if there are any injuries or fatalities.  

Passenger airplane crashes in Northwest Territories, injuries unknown

Shots fired, Molotov cocktail thrown inside Edmonton City Hall, police say

Shots fired, Molotov cocktail thrown inside Edmonton City Hall, police say
Police were investigating a shooting Tuesday at Edmonton City Hall, where a Molotov cocktail was also thrown from the building's second floor. Police said no injuries were reported. Officers arrested one person and were doing a sweep of the building. 

Shots fired, Molotov cocktail thrown inside Edmonton City Hall, police say