Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Income gap between new immigrants and all Canadians shrunk by half in four years: PBO

Income gap between new immigrants and all Canadians shrunk by half in four years: PBO
A new report from the parliamentary budget officer finds the gap between the average incomes of new immigrants and all tax filers has narrowed significantly. The report finds the median income of new immigrants was about 78 per cent of the median income made by all tax filers in 2018, compared with 55 per cent in 2014.

Income gap between new immigrants and all Canadians shrunk by half in four years: PBO

Canada doesn't support 'premise' of South Africa's case against Israel at world court

Canada doesn't support 'premise' of South Africa's case against Israel at world court
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada supports the International Court of Justice but that doesn't mean Canada supports the premise of South Africa's genocide case against Israel. On Thursday, South Africa launched a case at the top United Nations court arguing Israel's bombardment of Gaza and its siege on the Palestinians who live there "are genocidal in character."

Canada doesn't support 'premise' of South Africa's case against Israel at world court

Extreme cold: -40C forecast in Edmonton as snow causes road havoc in Metro Vancouver

Extreme cold: -40C forecast in Edmonton as snow causes road havoc in Metro Vancouver
Extreme cold and biting wind has gripped Western Canada, breaking multiple decades-long daily temperature records in Alberta and British Columbia. Environment Canada says Edmonton's temperature is -36.6 C and forecast to hit -40 C tonight on one of the coldest days in half a century, after plummeting to -34.6 C on the coldest Jan. 11 since 1997.

Extreme cold: -40C forecast in Edmonton as snow causes road havoc in Metro Vancouver

BC gets 5 new Indigenous Justice Centres

BC gets 5 new Indigenous Justice Centres
Premier David Eby says five new Indigenous Justice Centres set up in B-C over the past year will help make the legal system work better for Indigenous people. Eby says a total of nine centres across the province will connect more people with culturally safe legal supports and services.

BC gets 5 new Indigenous Justice Centres

RCMP looking for erratic driver

RCMP looking for erratic driver
The R-C-M-P say they are trying to find a 24-year-old man suspected of driving dangerously through Surrey’s streets during peak traffic hours. Police say officers conducted a traffic stop on a 2017 white Range Rover on September 7th for dangerous driving. 

RCMP looking for erratic driver

Facebook lawsuit settling fee $51M

Facebook lawsuit settling fee $51M
Meta is offering $51 million to settle a class-action lawsuit in four Canadian provinces over the use of some users' images in Facebook advertising.  The legal action filed by a B.C. woman claimed her image and those of others were used without their knowledge in Facebook's "sponsored stories" advertising program, which is no longer in operation.

Facebook lawsuit settling fee $51M