Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Early days of B.C. campaign sees NDP, Conservatives trade barbs over housing, drugs

Early days of B.C. campaign sees NDP, Conservatives trade barbs over housing, drugs
Drug policy and housing shortages are emerging as the top issues early in British Columbia's election campaign. New Democrat Leader David Eby and B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad spent much of the campaign's first weekend traversing Metro Vancouver, from Richmond to North Vancouver to Surrey to Langley, signaling the importance of winning ridings in urban areas.

Early days of B.C. campaign sees NDP, Conservatives trade barbs over housing, drugs

Rainfall warning issued for BC

Rainfall warning issued for BC
Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning for northwest and coastal regions of the province. The warning covers the northern coast, as well as Haida Gwaii and inland regions including Kitimat, Stewart and Terrace.

Rainfall warning issued for BC

Weekend shooting in Langley

Weekend shooting in Langley
B-C's Integrated Homicide Team says officers have been deployed after a shooting in Langley this weekend. It says Mounties responded to reports of shots fired around 6 P-M on Saturday in the area of 196th Street and 84th Avenue, and found two men suffering gun-shot wounds.

Weekend shooting in Langley

RCMP officers face firing over 'atrocious' racist behaviour, harassment

RCMP officers face firing over 'atrocious' racist behaviour, harassment
A schedule from the RCMP shows Constables Philip Dick, Ian Solven and Mersad Mesbah are slated to appear next February for code of conduct hearings over allegations including discrimination, harassment and discrediting the police force.

RCMP officers face firing over 'atrocious' racist behaviour, harassment

B.C. NDP Leader David Eby launches election campaign a day early in key battleground

B.C. NDP Leader David Eby launches election campaign a day early in key battleground
New Democrat Leader David Eby has launched his British Columbia election campaign a day early, making the key battle ground of Surrey his first stop. The fixed election date of Oct. 19 means the campaign doesn't officially start until Saturday. 

B.C. NDP Leader David Eby launches election campaign a day early in key battleground

RCMP ask for help in finding 7-year-old girl missing near Burns Lake

RCMP ask for help in finding 7-year-old girl missing near Burns Lake
Police are asking the public for help in finding a seven-year-old girl missing from her home about 250 kilometres west of Prince George. RCMP say Oaklynn Schwedder was last seen outside her home in the small community of Southbank, near Burns Lake, at 6 p.m. on Thursday.

RCMP ask for help in finding 7-year-old girl missing near Burns Lake