Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Employer considers union plan in week two of Metro Vancouver HandyDART transit strike

Employer considers union plan in week two of Metro Vancouver HandyDART transit strike
Most services for Metro Vancouver's specialized HandyDART transit system remain cancelled for a second week, with the operator saying it will respond to a new proposal from the union representing striking workers on Thursday. TransDev Canada says that's when talks were "previously scheduled" to resume, and no agreements were reached in Sunday's initial mediated talks.

Employer considers union plan in week two of Metro Vancouver HandyDART transit strike

Canadian resident arrested over alleged Oct. 7 New York terror plot

Canadian resident arrested over alleged Oct. 7 New York terror plot
U.S. authorities say a Canadian resident has been arrested in Quebec over an alleged Islamic State terror plot to kill Jewish people in New York. The U.S. Department of Justice says Pakistani national Muhammad Shahzeb Khan, 20, also known as Shahzeb Jadoon, was arrested on Wednesday in relation to the attack it says was to take place around Oct. 7, the anniversary of the Hamas attack on Israel last year.

Canadian resident arrested over alleged Oct. 7 New York terror plot

Involuntary mental health care must be 'dignified and humane,' B.C. premier says

Involuntary mental health care must be 'dignified and humane,' B.C. premier says
People struggling with brain injuries, addictions and mental health issues need "dignified and humane" support services if they're committed against their will, and B.C. Premier David Eby says the government is putting its faith in a recently appointed adviser to make those services a reality.  Eby said Friday that his government is working on a strategy about involuntary care, speaking days after a deadly attack in downtown Vancouver that left one man dead.

Involuntary mental health care must be 'dignified and humane,' B.C. premier says

Rollover vehicle catches fire in Nelson

Rollover vehicle catches fire in Nelson
A man is lucky to be alive after his vehicle went off the road in Nelson, flipped over and caught fire. Police say the motorist was driving yesterday morning when his vehicle left the roadway and struck a large rock.

Rollover vehicle catches fire in Nelson

Suspicious package found in Downtown

Suspicious package found in Downtown
Police in Vancouver say officers cordoned off an area of downtown yesterday due to a suspicious package. Police say emergency response officers later examined the package and found no explosive device.

Suspicious package found in Downtown

Targeted shooting in North Vancouver

Targeted shooting in North Vancouver
North Vancouver RCMP say a man has been seriously injured in a targeted shooting overnight. Police say officers responded to calls of a shooting at 2 a-m and found a man in his 50s in the 700-block of East 29th Street.

Targeted shooting in North Vancouver