Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Police say dog may have been thrown to its death from downtown Vancouver hotel

Police say dog may have been thrown to its death from downtown Vancouver hotel
Police say a dog that fell to its death in downtown Vancouver may have been deliberately thrown from a window. Vancouver Police say officers responded to a call and found the dead dog in the laneway beside the Molson Hotel at around 2 p.m. on Friday.

Police say dog may have been thrown to its death from downtown Vancouver hotel

Housing market could rebound in 2024

Housing market could rebound in 2024
The Canadian housing market could be in for a rebound in 2024. That is the forecast coming from economists after a year of caution and shifting expectations spurred by rising borrowing costs.  

Housing market could rebound in 2024

Victim of New York bus crash identified as 74-year-old Montreal woman

Victim of New York bus crash identified as 74-year-old Montreal woman
New York State Police have identified Jeanne Elzanie Jourdan Colin, a 74-year-old Montrealer, as the person who died in a tour bus crash in Lake George, N.Y., on Friday. They say one person remains in critical condition at an Albany, N.Y., hospital.

Victim of New York bus crash identified as 74-year-old Montreal woman

Trudeau to join mourners at memorial for victims of downed plane

Trudeau to join mourners at memorial for victims of downed plane
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will join mourners in Richmond Hill, Ont., this afternoon to mark four years since the Iranian military shot down Flight PS752. Everyone aboard was killed when Iranian officials shot down the Ukraine International Airlines jetliner in January 2020 shortly after its take-off from Tehran.

Trudeau to join mourners at memorial for victims of downed plane

One dead in BC helicopter crash

One dead in BC helicopter crash
The RCMP says one person has died in a helicopter crash near Revelstoke, B.C. They say the helicopter, which was first reported missing Friday, was found in Glacier National Park.

One dead in BC helicopter crash

Third shooting in three days in Coquitlam, B.C., sends man to hospital

Third shooting in three days in Coquitlam, B.C., sends man to hospital
Mounties in Coquitlam, B.C., say a third shooting in as many days has left a man with life-threatening injuries. They say officers responded to a call around 4:15 p.m. Saturday and found the man, who was then taken to hospital.  

Third shooting in three days in Coquitlam, B.C., sends man to hospital