Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

One arrested in B.C. police operation near three North Vancouver schools

One arrested in B.C. police operation near three North Vancouver schools
One suspect has been arrested in a police operation in North Vancouver that delayed the start of three area schools. RCMP say officers responded to a report of an assault at around 5 a.m. Tuesday inside a home in the 1,000 block of Lytton Street.

One arrested in B.C. police operation near three North Vancouver schools

Man involved in police incident in Langley last month found dead

Man involved in police incident in Langley last month found dead
B-C's police watchdog confirms that a man who was involved in an incident with police in Langley last month has been found dead. The Independent Investigations Office of B-C says human remains found at the scene of a fire in Langley are those of a man who had barricaded himself inside a building as police were outside on November 10th. 

Man involved in police incident in Langley last month found dead

Police are warning BC car buyers after recent cases of stolen cars

Police are warning BC car buyers after recent cases of stolen cars
Police are warning BC car buyers after recent cases of people buying used vehicles that turned out to be stolen. The integrated auto crime team says they have worked on a number of cases where people have purchased cars either online or at used-car dealerships with fake vehicle identification numbers.  

Police are warning BC car buyers after recent cases of stolen cars

Slowdown in skyrocketing rents in Metro Vancouver

Slowdown in skyrocketing rents in Metro Vancouver
The skyrocketing rents in Metro Vancouver are slowing according to the latest report by Rentals-dot-C-A and Urbanation. The report says the area's asking rents in November rose less than 1 per cent from last year, reaching an average rental unit price of three-thousand-171-dollars.

Slowdown in skyrocketing rents in Metro Vancouver

Coquitlam man facing drug charges in nation wide operation

Coquitlam man facing drug charges in nation wide operation
A Coquitlam man is facing is facing a long list of charges, including trafficking and possession after police say they uncovered a large-scale, cross-Canada drug operation. BC's Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says police conducted a yearlong investigation that included police in Manitoba, resulting in three arrests and a large quantity of drugs and weapons seized.  

Coquitlam man facing drug charges in nation wide operation

Drunk Indo-Canadian man crashes car in US with four-month-old baby inside

Drunk Indo-Canadian man crashes car in US with four-month-old baby inside
A 30-year-old Indo-Canadian has been charged in the US state of Florida for driving drunk and crashing his vehicle with his four-month-old daughter inside. Peeyush Gupta, a resident of Ontario province, was taken into custody last week and remains behind bars in Monroe County’s Key West jail facility.  

Drunk Indo-Canadian man crashes car in US with four-month-old baby inside