Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Pawandeep Singh

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Pawandeep Singh
On November 25th Pawandeep Singh, 27, was reported missing to police. He was last seen on November 5, 2023 in the 8400-block of 171A Street. His last contact with a family member by phone was on November 20, 2023. Family and friends have not been able to make any contact with him since and are concerned for his wellbeing. Despite ongoing efforts, he has not been located.

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Pawandeep Singh

Calgary teen arrested in terrorism investigation to stay off social media sites

Calgary teen arrested in terrorism investigation to stay off social media sites
A 17-year-old Calgarian who was arrested as part of a national security investigation is to be prohibited from accessing social media and required to participate in an intervention plan that addresses ideological extremism.  The teen, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was arrested in June and was subject to a section of the Criminal Code that allows for a peace bond if there's fear the person may commit a terrorism offence.  

Calgary teen arrested in terrorism investigation to stay off social media sites

Province adopting new building and fire codes to speed up creation of homes

Province adopting new building and fire codes to speed up creation of homes
With a rush to build more housing across the province, the B-C government says it is adopting new building and fire codes for sustainability and creating homes faster.  The Ministry of Housing says the proposed changes to the building code will expand the use of mass timber in taller buildings, while helping to reduce carbon pollution.  

Province adopting new building and fire codes to speed up creation of homes

Pedestrian involved fatal collision in New Westminster

Pedestrian involved fatal collision in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are investigating a fatal accident involving a pedestrian. It happened yesterday afternoon and police say the pedestrian died at the scene. Sergeant Andrew Leaver says driver stayed at the crash site.

Pedestrian involved fatal collision in New Westminster

Highway 97 in Prince George closed both ways due to a crash

Highway 97 in Prince George closed both ways due to a crash
Mounties in Prince George are warning drivers that Highway 97 through the Salmon Valley is closed in both directions because of a crash. Police say a five-ton truck and a pickup were involved in the collision around 12:45 this afternoon.   

Highway 97 in Prince George closed both ways due to a crash

Climate change battering municipal finances across Canada

Climate change battering municipal finances across Canada
The hamlet of Gore, Que., had the foresight to start preparing for more intense annual flooding due to climate change a decade ago. That's when the rural township 60 kilometres northwest of Montreal began quadrupling the size of its culverts to accommodate greater water flow under its roads.

Climate change battering municipal finances across Canada