Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Increase for towing fees in September

Increase for towing fees in September
Fees for towing and storing impounded vehicles are set to go up starting in September. The province says it's bumping up the fees to increase the consequences for people who drive dangerously. 

Increase for towing fees in September

Senior assaulted with a baton

Senior assaulted with a baton
Police in North Vancouver are searching for a suspect after a road rage incident where a senior was assaulted with a baton. R-C-M-P say on August 12th at about 4 p-m, a man driving a black Tesla Model 3 was allegedly tailgating another vehicle and speeding.

Senior assaulted with a baton

192 toxic drug deaths in B.C. in July, down 15 per cent, says coroner

192 toxic drug deaths in B.C. in July, down 15 per cent, says coroner
The British Columbia Coroners Service says at least 192 people died in July in the province due to unregulated drug toxicity, down 15 per cent from the same month last year. The service says in a release that 1,365 people have died of drug toxicity this year up to the end of July, a rate of death that is also down.

192 toxic drug deaths in B.C. in July, down 15 per cent, says coroner

B.C. revamps building code to allow single stairwells in buildings up to six storeys

B.C. revamps building code to allow single stairwells in buildings up to six storeys
British Columbia is moving to allow buildings up to six storeys to have one exit stairwell instead of two in the government's latest effort to boost housing supply. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says in a statement that updating the provincial building code to remove the requirement for a second egress or exit stairwell per floor will facilitate more options for residents who need larger layouts.

B.C. revamps building code to allow single stairwells in buildings up to six storeys

Taskforce ready for 'emergency enhancement' of salmon stocks after B.C. landslide

Taskforce ready for 'emergency enhancement' of salmon stocks after B.C. landslide
A salmon task force that is examining the impact of the massive Chilcotin River landslide in British Columbia says it's prepared for the "emergency enhancement" of fish stocks after the disaster. A statement from the Fisheries Department, which is part of the task force alongside First Nations and the B.C. government, says monitoring has confirmed that sockeye salmon have begun to enter the river.

Taskforce ready for 'emergency enhancement' of salmon stocks after B.C. landslide

140 into 93 won't fit: The math facing B.C. Conservatives as BC United folds campaign

140 into 93 won't fit: The math facing B.C. Conservatives as BC United folds campaign
The suspension of the Official Opposition BC United's election campaign, consolidating its pool of potential candidates with the B.C. Conservative Party, means that dozens from either camp will lose party endorsement. Here's the math on the challenge of putting together a unified slate of candidates under the B.C. Conservative banner ahead of the Oct. 19 provincial election.

140 into 93 won't fit: The math facing B.C. Conservatives as BC United folds campaign