Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Harris, Walz understand the Canada-U.S. relationship, ambassador says

Harris, Walz understand the Canada-U.S. relationship, ambassador says
Canada’s ambassador to the United States says she's telling Americans about the important relationship between the neighbours as Democrats develop their foreign policy and build unity behind Vice-President Kamala Harris at the party's national convention. Kirsten Hillman says she is talking with Democrats about how Canada makes the U.S. more resilient, secure and prosperous. 

Harris, Walz understand the Canada-U.S. relationship, ambassador says

House committee meeting about purchase of New York City condo for consul general

House committee meeting about purchase of New York City condo for consul general
Senior public servants have been called to a House of Commons committee to explain the government's decision to buy a $9-million condo for the consul general in New York. Conservative MP Michael Barrett called the residence "excessive" and "opulent," and questioned why the procurement minister was not made aware of the purchase.

House committee meeting about purchase of New York City condo for consul general

Canada Border Services Agency says systems outage impacting airports

Canada Border Services Agency says systems outage impacting airports
The Canada Border Services Agency says a partial systems outage is impacting airports and that it is working to fix the issue. Toronto's Pearson airport says the outage is impacting customs kiosks in two terminals. The airport says travellers using those terminals may experience longer wait times at customs. 

Canada Border Services Agency says systems outage impacting airports

Canada's inflation rate falls to 2.5%, paving way for another interest rate cut

Canada's inflation rate falls to 2.5%, paving way for another interest rate cut
Canada’s annual inflation rate fell to 2.5 per cent last month, matching economists' forecasts and solidifying expectations for a third consecutive interest rate cut in September. Tuesday’s consumer price index report says prices for travel tours, passenger vehicles and electricity helped drive the headline figure lower.

Canada's inflation rate falls to 2.5%, paving way for another interest rate cut

Tories delete Canadian dream video featuring what Liberals say are Russian jets

Tories delete Canadian dream video featuring what Liberals say are Russian jets
The Conservative Party of Canada has deleted a video that was meant to promote its Canadian values but featured images of what the Defence Minister's office says are Russian fighter jets.  The party acknowledged on Monday that mistakes happen, while also pointing out that the Liberals have dealt with a stock image backlash in the past. 

Tories delete Canadian dream video featuring what Liberals say are Russian jets

Canadian rail strike looking

Canadian rail strike looking
A ban on all new cargo pickups at Canadian Pacific is coming tomorrow if a deal is not reached between two of Canada's major railways and its union. A phased shutdown of the networks is already underway as a potential work stoppage looms on Thursday.

Canadian rail strike looking